Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/9/24 09:19
Is it possible to travel from Matsumoto to Kyoto via the alpen-route in one day and which transport is recommended. We have a JR Rail Pass which I know does not cover the Alpen-route. Also any recommendations re our main baggage which should not be too big and might be in the form of rucksacks for getting around.
by john coe (guest)  

Re: Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/10/1 04:36
You can travel on the morning from Matsumoto - Shinano omachi - japan Alps route -Toyama and back to Tokyo late of night. You can use the service of baggage sending at the Omachi station.
by Sunny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/10/1 05:31
agree with above, but to get to Kyoto I'd go from Toyama to Kanazawa (and look around Kanazawa) then on the Thunderbird back to Kyoto. It's quite a nice trip. A longer trip, but much nicer IMO is Toyama - Takayama (Wideview Hida) - stop off at Takayama for a poke around and some beef, then back on the Wideview to Nagoya, then Nagoya to Kyoto by Shinkansen. If you wanted, you could stop off at Maibara and see the Hikone castle which is pretty impressive, with great grounds.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/10/1 21:23
Thanks Sunny but I'm going to Kyoto.

Thanks Lazy Pious, but can all the trip be done in one day, I read the Alpen-Route could be 9 hours?
by John Coe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/10/1 22:51
Set aside 6-8 hours for the whole Apline Route, more if travelling during peak time from late April to early May or autumn foliage season in Oct.

Doing the Route from Matsumoto and bedding down in Kyoto on the same day is very rush. Even if you are lucky enough to catch a direct train from Toyama to Kyoto you are looking at another 3 hr travelling time, 3.5-4 hrs if transfers are required. For a more relaxing trip consider spending the night in Toyama or Kanazawa.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto to Kyoto via Alpen-route 2014/10/1 23:29
Thanks, appreciate the advise, going mid November by the way.
by John coe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread