Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/24 12:35
Hi guys!

I have been invited to go golfing with the PTA leaders and former principal of the school I work at. They know that I have a long golfing history, though I have not been able to practice since coming to Japan (can't find a range and courses are expensive!) so am extremely rusty. Needless to say, I am super nervous...

I'm wondering a couple of things. First, do Japanese golf courses usually have driving ranges and practice greens? I want to practice a bit before going out seeing as how I haven't played in a couple of years T.T . Of course, if no one else practices, I'm not going to be the only one or anything.

Is there any golfing ettiquette or ettiquette in general that might be unique to Japan or this situation? I've been in some international tournaments before, but have never played with "higher ups" from Japan.

I'm a girl, so they've already sort of laughed at the fact that I was a pretty serious golfer in America. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to act any paticular way while I'm out with them. I don't know if I should always give them "honors," (a golfing term) etc.

Thanks, all!
by GoLizzy  

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/24 13:25
can't find a range and courses are expensive!

Driving ranges are plentiful. Where do you live? There are a couple of online lists that you can check out, for example:

http://www.golf-in-japan.com/rangeguide.php

Inexpensive courses are also available, and you can find courses for as low as 2500 yen.

http://www.golf-in-japan.com/fee_low.php

I'm wondering a couple of things. First, do Japanese golf courses usually have driving ranges and practice greens?

Practice greens yes, driving ranges sometimes.

Is there any golfing ettiquette or ettiquette in general that might be unique to Japan or this situation?

As it is Japan, the golf courses often have large baths attached to the locker rooms. Depending on where the course is located, they might even feature onsen water.

I'm a girl, so they've already sort of laughed at the fact that I was a pretty serious golfer in America.

Why would they laugh? Women's golf is a pretty serious sport in Japan.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to act any paticular way while I'm out with them. I don't know if I should always give them "honors," (a golfing term) etc.

I don't think it's necessary to defer honors to higher ups but I could be wrong.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/24 18:44
The majority of golf courses have a short golf course and practice range, but some don't have them.

A jacket is required to wear as you visit the course, then get dress in the locker. You need to wear the jacket as you leave the course again.

Wear a cap or hat during the play.

I think regular members are taking care of you(visitor) in the course, just follow them.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/25 10:29
Find out which course you will be playing and check them out online. I haven't encountered such a restrictive dress code as described by Tokyo Friend 48 (or maybe he's just playing more exclusive courses than I can afford ;), but it's good to know ahead of time what is and what isn't required.

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/25 15:15
Probably not really answering but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsF7pcMfpIQ
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/26 11:40
Hello!

I'm sorry for replying so late. Thank you for all of the great information! I live in Fukuyama, Hiroshima, but we will be golfing in Mihara at the following course: http://www.kui-cc.jp/

Is there a jacket required in the dress code? I've golfed in many different places and a few countries but have actually never seen that before! Do you mean like a blazer and business skirt? Is there definitely a locker room? I'm a little worried because we have planned to meet there rather close to our tee time!

Anyway, about the female golfing thing-- they told me they had never met a female golfer, actually, and that it wasn't common! I must say, though, that the best two golfers I have ever met and played with, both professionals now, were a Japanese and Korean girl.

Thank you again!
by GoLizzy rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/26 13:32
Is there a jacket required in the dress code? I've golfed in many different places and a few countries but have actually never seen that before! Do you mean like a blazer and business skirt? Is there definitely a locker room? I'm a little worried because we have planned to meet there rather close to our tee time!

Better check with your colleagues about the dress code, but from their website and green fees, I doubt they have anything stricter in place besides maybe a no jeans rule.

Also, it looks like you're in luck as they have a putting green, chipping practice area, and a driving range. Also, lockers and baths are available, unless you are playing early morning or twilight golf.

Anyway, about the female golfing thing-- they told me they had never met a female golfer, actually, and that it wasn't common!

Never met a female golfer?!? How old are these guys? ;)

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/26 14:42
I've never seen a golf course which doesn't require to wear jacket in Japan other than golf practice.
The most golf courses in Japan still have classical rules that they require to wear a jacket from GB no matter is's summer or winter.
I think this is a silly rule these days but they do so.

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/28 05:33
Hi,

I was in japan 2 weeks ago, and I got to play with some older japanese men and women.

It was on public courses and private courses.

Here are a few of things that seem "specific" to japan, or at least different from "switzerland" where I come from.

1) Usually, from what I have been told, even if there is a putting green next to the first tee, it's usually "not" allowed to chip on it, even though I haven't seen any sign about that.

2) After 9 holes people have lunch (even 9.30 am with a tee-time at 7.30...)

3) After the first 9 holes, you will be given the tee-time for the backnine/frontnine depending where you started.

4) After most of the golf shots, the japanese say "nice shooooooo" for "nice shot".

5) When the put the ball in the hole, they say the score like this (par desu, bogey desu...)

6) If you get a caddy, it might be a caddy for the whole group.

7) I have been told not to tip the caddy, and that in japan people don't accept tip. Guess what, I tipped the caddy, and the caddy accepted the money (1000 yen).

8) When it comes for making the first tee-shot, the japanese player seem to "draw sticks" for deciding the order of play, not going by handicap. Since you are a female player, you will probably play last anyway from your tee-box.

9) Golf etiquette on the course... I was a bit dissapointed, because the people tend to move and talk while you are playing. Even crossing your line behind you during the swing.

10) After the last hole, they don't seem to shake hands and thank each other in that way for the round. I was a bit surprised of that. I have played in europe, america and thailand, and it is the first place I see where people don't shake hands after the golf course.

That's all I can think of for the moment regarding golfing in japan.
by montueron rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/28 16:58
Wow, thank you for listing all of those differences! The part about moving around while I'm addressing the ball really shocks me in particular. I'll try to not let it distract me!

As for the other posts, I'm really wondering about this jacket business. Do I just wear my golfing clothes under the jacket (my skort, etc.)? There's not really going to be time to change. Also, do you mean a business jacket, or do you mean a sports jacket? I'm quite confused-- could you please provide a picture?

Lastly, the reason it's been hard for me to find places to play is because I don't have a car, unfortunately. I wonder if they are ever near train stations. Then again, can I even take my clubs on a train?

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/28 17:26
I mean the jacket is you wear as you visit the golf club. No need to wear during the golf play. You need to get change(dress) after you visited the club, leave the jacket in the locker then need to wear jacket as you leave the club. I understand this is a silly tradition but the most golf clubs require to bring a jacket as you visit there.

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/28 18:38
I think jacket necessity is applied for men, generally not for women.
you may wear a jacket, when you enter the golf club house. you change your clothes to golf wears at the club house before playing.(there are lockers and clothes-changing rooms.)
after playing, you will be sweating, you take the bath (or shower), and change the clothes to a new one (or the same clothes which you wear when you come to the club house in the morning).

go to the golf course.
you are an invited guest, PTA members and the former principal will bring you to the golf club. generally, they will come to your house to pick you up by car.

do you have your golf equipment in Japan ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/29 09:10
Thank you. Yes, I have my equiptment here :)

I am really wondering if you mean this kind of jacket : http://www.modcloth.com/shop/vintage/vintage-business-model-blazer

or this kind: http://www.golfgearpro.co.uk/footjoy-golf-dryjoys-tour-xp-rain-jacket-...

Like a business jacket or a sports jacket? I have both.

Thank you so much!!

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/9/30 12:09
None of the golf courses I've been to require jackets, although from some research it seems that there are some private clubs that do require jackets in the clubhouse. From Mihara's website it doesn't seem like they have a jacket rule, but once again, the best people to check with are the people that you are going with.

A couple more comments:

1) Usually, from what I have been told, even if there is a putting green next to the first tee, it's usually "not" allowed to chip on it, even though I haven't seen any sign about that.

I've seen separate practice greens and "approach" practice areas where the grass is longer. It was usually marked in Japanese only.

7) I have been told not to tip the caddy, and that in japan people don't accept tip. Guess what, I tipped the caddy, and the caddy accepted the money (1000 yen).

I don't use a caddy, but from what I understand, it's typically ok to tip caddies (1000 yen or so per 9) and they'll often (if not always) accept.

8) When it comes for making the first tee-shot, the japanese player seem to "draw sticks" for deciding the order of play, not going by handicap. Since you are a female player, you will probably play last anyway from your tee-box.

There are often a set of sticks at the first hole with one, two, three, and four lines on them that you draw to determine order. Regular honors rules generally apply from there.

10) After the last hole, they don't seem to shake hands and thank each other in that way for the round. I was a bit surprised of that. I have played in europe, america and thailand, and it is the first place I see where people don't shake hands after the golf course.

People generally don't shake hands in Japan. But a bow and an "Otsukarasamadeshita" may be substituted instead.

There's not really going to be time to change.

You should be arriving with enough time to change and warm up. The last time I went golfing, everyone checked in and then headed straight to the locker rooms to change/stow their belongings. Then we met on the practice green about 20 mins before our tee time.

Then again, can I even take my clubs on a train?

Yes, no problem.

Re: Golfing ettiquette in Japan 2014/10/3 10:26
Hi guys,

I thought I would update with what actually went down.

Pretty much, it was just as you all described, although no one wore jackets and they were all very quiet and still while someone was addressing their ball. I guess I was lucky that they are pretty experienced golfers :)

Also, we had to extend the tee time because I wanted to warm up beforehand (it kind of became the running joke that I was more serious about that than anyone else was), but it was no problem as there was only one other group going out that day.

Thank you so much for all of your advice, guys! I had a wonderful time-- probably the best I've ever had golfing casually.

reply to this thread