Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 08:07
Hello, I'm quite well educated on the intricacies of Hyperdia when it comes to times and transfers. And I am aware of Jorudan, but don't use it at all because, for me, it doesn't flow well.

That said, I tried an experiment to see how different these two systems are. Since my travel day is not visible on Hyperdia, I chose one that both have available: February 26th. I know things will change for April 8th and hopefully the Hokuriku Shinkansen will lessen the travel time, but when I ask for the first train to leave Kanazawa where my final destination is Kesennuma, the results are quite different. Jorudan shows an arrival at 2:08pm, as shown below. When I try the same for Hyperdia, I get option 3, arriving at 4:17pm. Jorudan shows a Hayabusa 15 that doesn't even exist on Hyperdia's Omiya or Tokyo to Ichinoseki's run all day! I'll post the link to Hyperdia's result below for those who wish to take a gander.

So what gives? Does Jorudan know something that Hyperdia doesn't? Is Jorudan that much more accurate that they will show trains that don't exist on Hyperdia? If anyone has an answer and/or suggestions to use one or another, I'd appreciate reading them. Thank you!

Here is the link to the Hyperdia website (Option 3):
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KANAZAWA&arv_node=...

And here's a cut and paste version of the Jorudan site:

On board for 390 minutes (Traveling for 418 minutes)
One-way fare:32,450 yen

Kanazawa
Limited ExpressHakutaka No.3
07:10am
09:54am
Echigo-Yuzawa
Shinkansen Max Toki No.316 10:04am
10:54am
Omiya(Saitama)
Shinkansen Hayabusa No.15
11:06am
12:38pm
Ichinoseki
JR Ofunato Line
12:44pm
02:08pm
Kesennuma
by John B digs Japan  

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 11:27
April timetables will not be published for another few months! Hyperdia may display inaccurate routes if you select dates for which the timetable data is not available yet. Jorudan simply uses current timetable data.

In either case, it is not possible to accurately look up spring 2015 timetables yet because they have not been finalized and published yet. As you know, there will be major changes related to the Hokuriku Shinkansen and the Tokyo-Ueno Line.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:05
I appreciate that Uji, as I always do. But does Jorudan include trains that are available and Hyperdia not use them. What about this Hayabusa 15? Is that currently available and that's why Jorudan uses it and Hyperdia excludes it because it may not have that information yet? I know the dates are far out there in the future and I'm not counting on them to be accurate. I'm just using them as a very basic guideline. But one site posting trains that don't exist on the other leaves me a bit puzzled, that's all.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:21
When will the JR time-table be updated for Nov & Dec?
Thanks.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:24
For very basic guidelines, you better use dates in the upcoming few days (a weekday for weekdays or weekend for weekends/national holidays).

I don't know how Hyperdia calculates routes for far-in-the-future dates, I just know that the results are sometimes strange.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:26
At the hyperdia website, it states at the bottom of the page that info valid from July to 30 Sep. But today is already 27 Sep.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:29
When will the JR time-table be updated for Nov & Dec?

The timetables through November were published many weeks ago already. As for December, I think they will be released in mid to late October. It does not mean that Hyperdia and Jorudan will be immediately updated, as well, though.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:32
Thanks Uji. Always a wealth of info. I'll be checking their websites periodically to see where it goes.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 12:51
Currently I just use the JR websites for Oct/Nov. It works very well with JR East at least (although you have to be able to read/write Japanese).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 13:04
Am I viewing the wrong website of Hyperdia as when I choose dates in Nov, at the bottom of the page, it states train schedules are till 30 Sep.
Thank you.
Message at the bottom of page:
JR timetable data is provided by KOTSUSHINBUNSHA. This data has been based on September 2014 edition.
Private Railway timetable data is provided by JTB Publishing Inc. This data has been based on September 2014 edition.
Airline timetable is provided by JTB Publishing Inc. This data has been based on September 2014 edition.
No part of this site (train and airline timetable etc.) may be distributed, modified and reproduced in any form without our written permission.
The train and flight schedules are available from July 1, 2014 to September 30, 2014.
*When specifying the date out of the available period, timetables we deem regular trains and flights are shown as search results.
Please note that search results may differ from actual timetables.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 13:11
Am I viewing the wrong website of Hyperdia as when I choose dates in Nov, at the bottom of the page, it states train schedules are till 30 Sep.

Yes, this is correct. If you search beyond 30 Sep., Hyperdia will still display some results but they may be inaccurate.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/27 20:19
JR-WEST and EAST regular trains time table will not big change until next mid Mar.
Just no seasonal trains info with. So not quite different no worry.

But on 26 Feb start,right?
If so you should escape fastest snow country side route like Hyperdia[R1].
In Feb trains often canceled by heavy snow between Kanazawa to Niigata area.
If no bad weather by over night bus and by air[from KMQ] until Sendai maybe good.
(KIX to SDJ by Peach more cheaper)

And "Why seach results different?" is very easy.
Hyperdia[R3] is - EchigoYuzawa - Omiya - [Tokyo] - [Omiya] - as "Y" letter route XD
Jorudan is "V" letter no Tokyo back/return route :)
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/img/renew/img_term01.gif
but that copyed expensive fare means by air (not by trains) XD
By trains fare same both.

Fixed Hyperdia (as weekday)
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KANAZAWA&arv_node=...
by NSL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/28 00:32
NSL, the difference is not so easy as you think. Omiya is on the way to Tokyo from Echigo-Yuzawa and also on the way from Tokyo to Ichinoseki. All JR East trains stop at Omiya, just like all JR Tokai trains stop at Shinagawa on their way to Shin-Osaka. So I should be able to bypass heading into Tokyo for a transfer and stay in Omiya to catch the train to Ichinoseki. 2 hours is a lot of time difference.Hyperdia doesn't even mention a Hayabusa 15 for that day when I put in Tokyo and Ichinoseki as stations.But I see that when you use a weekday, like you did, it does show. My apologies for that. I was assuming all days were the same.

As far as the snow, I will be traveling on April 8th. If there is snow then, I cannot help it. The price is no object as I have a JR Pass. Flying is not an option since it takes about as much time and it's not covered by the JR Pass.

I do lots of research before my trips as the adage says, "planning is half the fun!" I am using those times as estimates for planning and I do check them a month before I leave and then again a week before to fine-tune things. I have two nights in Kanazawa before my reservation of 4 nights in Kesennuma on the 9th. It is extremely hard to get reservations on the Sanriku Coast at that time of the year, so I was lucky to get 4 nights in Kesennuma, so I can make it my base for visits to Ishinomaki, Minamisanriku, Rikuzentakata and Ofunato before I head to Hirosaki on April 13th.

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/28 01:01
I like the mentioned phrase "planning is half the sun".
I prefer Hyperdia to jorudan.
by Jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jorudan vs. Hyperdia revisited yet again 2014/9/30 18:38
For info:
The train schedule in hyperdia is "updated".

JR timetable data is provided by KOTSUSHINBUNSHA. This data has been based on October 2014 edition.
Private Railway timetable data is provided by JTB Publishing Inc. This data has been based on October 2014 edition.
Airline timetable is provided by JTB Publishing Inc. This data has been based on October 2014 edition.
No part of this site (train and airline timetable etc.) may be distributed, modified and reproduced in any form without our written permission.
The train and flight schedules are available from October 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014.
*When specifying the date out of the available period, timetables we deem regular trains and flights are shown as search results.
Please note that search results may differ from actual timetables.

reply to this thread