Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/27 10:12
I've heard that Tokyo train stations close for the night, but this site says that people sleep in west Shinjuku station.... is it true that it doesn't close and cops don't kick you out?
by KarlMarx  

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/27 12:07
Which site says that? Shinjuku Station closes at night, so you cannot hang around inside the station, but there are underground passageways on the west side where homeless people sleep. If you don't mind the smell of urine and vomit or the risk of being woken up and possibly told to move by security guards or police, then I guess it's possible to sleep there. Most normal people would look for an internet cafe, manga kissa, or video box to spend the night for a few thousand yen.
by Fukuppi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/27 22:49
Shinjuku Station is closed at night. But some homeless people still sleep around the station at night.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/28 01:53
Oh, maybe this top pic is one of the tunnels:
http://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-travel/trav-last-train-tokyo
Fukupp: I tried sleeping in a manga kissa once, and even with earplugs the noise of people going to the drink machines all night made it hard to sleep... I've heard noise in capsules is an issue too, so now I'm looking for places normal people wouldn't sleep. As for safety, I think sleeping on the street in Japan is probably safer than sleeping in your hotel in Amerika.
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/28 09:21
Im not sure how the homeless do it but i hope this can help you. on my last night in Japan i did not want to spend money on a hotel because i had to be out of there by 7am to catch a flight.

there are some restaurants that are open late at night where travelers and locals do hangout at over night until the train start running

Turns out, this is a growing trend or is a trending thing. i don't mean people who are coming home from clubs or bar looking to stay the night at a night cafe that you read in the travel books. almost everyone in that mcdonald's was stcuk there waiting for tokyo station to open up.

Like if you can find a 24hr mcdonald's or 24hr noodles shop type you can stay and sleep in there but you do have to order a meal.

My last night in Japan i made my way into a mcdonald's which i thought stayed open 24hr but it close at 2am. as the place was closing i meet this guy who travel into Japan that night on a 8hr layover flight, a girl who just fly back to japan to live there and a lady who a local. to keep this short, we met and the lady knew where to go so we followed her. before going in small restaurant the lady told us in japanese translate by the girl "you must order 1 meal and drink" to stay the night here.

to make a long story short, we stayed up all night eating, talking, laughing, and getting to know each other. she knew the time the station was going to open so we headed back to the station and we took pictures at the end before saying goodbye.

by the way, there are some parks you can go too that are safe to sleep at, the guy i met, we were going to a park near by tokyo station but we met the girl and lady and we followed her.

out of all the spot i visited, everything i seen, and people i met and talk to, that was my best memorable experience in Japan. meeting these 3 people.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/28 17:42
The picture is called Card Boar Village which existed until Year 1998. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government forced to remove the village. It's now strongly prohibited to sleep in the area.
Manga Cafe is not an accommodation. Capsule Hotels are usually surrounded by noise.
Sleeping in public area in Tokyo is not legally prohibited but Police and local GOVT departments warn not to do so. The private area is strictly prohibited(you can be arrested by police). As far as I can consider, it may possible to sleep in Tokyo Metropolitan and local ward parks. But it's still dangerous to sleep in parks. Especially young people seek to attack people sleeping in parks. Death news are reported every year.

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/29 17:53
many internet cafes that open 24 hr. that u can sleep there.
by kopbirt rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/30 10:06
I still think it is better and safer to sleep in a motel, hotel etc, especially for ladies.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/30 11:17
Manga Cafe is not an accommodation.

Manga Cafe, are in fact popularly used as low budget accommodation:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2025_manga_kissa.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/30 16:25
Manga and Internet cafes don't reach the accommodation requirement, therefore those cafes are not registered as accommodation. They are a rest place.

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/9/30 17:05
That may be, but from a practical standpoint they may be used as accommodation. There are even instances of people using them as their residences:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8D%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%82%AB%E3%8...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cafe_refugee
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sleeping in train stations 2014/10/5 02:23
I've slept in a doorway of Tokyo station once before with no problems.

Capsule hotels actually tend to be pretty comfortable, noise is rarely an issue unless you draw a short straw and have a loud snorer nearby, its not common.
A bigger capsule problem is that some are often not long enough for an average height westerner to stretch out.
by not the walrus rate this post as useful

reply to this thread