Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/28 10:50
So my apartment here in Hikone, Japan is being practically attacked by these bugs, and I'm wondering what they are. I can't seem to find a picture or anything online. They look like REALLY big mosquitoes (except I'm almost positive they're not), or maybe like really tiny grasshoppers? They're very squishy (not hard on the outside like some bugs), and every night they all gather on my window. It's not unusual for me to have nearly 100 on my window at one time.

Any idea what these might be and how long they'll stay?
by sabledragonrook  

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/28 11:23
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/28 11:41
That doesn't really look like the bugs I have, but thanks! I'm going to try to attach a picture. Hopefully it works.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/agehibari/DSC03360_zpsbebf4c...
by sabledragonrook rate this post as useful

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/28 12:20
I cannot specify it, but it looks like to be one of the mosquitoes or an insect that belongs to Culicidae.
There are approx. 100 kinds of mosquitoes in Japan, but only 30 bite human. This includes rare spieces and those found only in particular regions.

As long as seeing from the picture. I do not think the insect does any harm. If you go to countryside or in the mountains, it is not unusual to see insects hoard around light at night.

If you do not want to see them at your window, you can hang out a hanging type of insect repellent.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/28 12:23
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/30 09:11
Living in Hikone too and have never seen them.
I think a repellant is a good idea. You can hang it in your window or put it on the balcony.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Mosquito-like Bugs in Japan Right Now? 2014/9/30 20:15
I think it's "The Mist"
by NN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread