Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/28 19:52
Hi guys,

I'm planning to study Fashion Business in one of Tokyo's vocational college in the near future. I currently have JLPT N1, and I am currently working full time. I have saved enough for my intended 2 years of studies, including fees and daily expenses (I have about 7 million yen) so I'm sure it's way more than enough for a moderately reasonable lifestyle and not living from hand to mouth.

However, the school that I was interested in stated that I needed a financial guarantor in Tokyo. Can I be my self guarantor provided that I show my bank statement, certificate of employment etc?

Just so you know I'm NOT referring to language schools as I know most DO accept self guarantors. Anyone has any experience with vocational college/universities etc?

Thanks in advance.

-Rin
by Murakami Seirin  

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 11:52
Basically, it's about the visa, rather than the school's condition. So, it doesn't matter so much what type of school, since it all goes to immigration.

I think it's difficult to become a self-sponsor. More likely if you had a continuing income. Some people borrow money from their friends and family, to boost their bank account until they get the visa. So, a bank statement alone is not super strong.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 12:27
Hi, thank you for replying to my question.

UPDATE:

I've looked through several schools, some require guarantors and some don't - provided you can show the immigration that you can fund yourself during your studies. Akamonkai Japanese school for example, accepts self financed students provided they can show that they've been working at the same place of employment for the past 3 years, and with more than 2.5 mil yen in their account; including account activity etc. I guess that answers the problem of people borrowing money in a huge sum to pass off as being eligible to self finance. :)

The school I'm looking at is actually ESMOD (Tokyo), sister school of ESMOD Paris - which states the requirement of having a local guarantor.

Another school that I'm also considering is Tokyo Mode Gakuen. They didn't seem to have anything written about compulsory local guarantors on their application form, so I might just lean towards that.

If anyone has any idea about ESMOD, do hit me up a reply. Or if anyone has similar experiences of being able to enrol in a vocational school which require local guarantors so let me know as well.

P/S. I'm referring to LOCAL JAPANESE guarantors here, not parents or immediate relatives in your home country.

Sigh, this is kinda dumb actually. Who on earth has relatives in Japan when you're an international student? They should fix that soon or they may not reach their target of hitting 300,000 students by the year 2020 *yep, actual news*.

by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 12:31
Sorry, I meant to say 300,000 foreign students.

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 12:50
Sorry, I know nothing about ESMOD but I was just wondering have you tried contacting someone there about their guarantor requirements? As you wrote previously, how is an international student supposed to have a Japanese guarantor?

Maybe they have some kind of sponsorship program where they pair you up with a local?

Just a thought.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 12:57
I've emailed them the question as well, and I'm waiting for their reply. I'll update this thread once again after they've replied me.

I think this will greatly benefit other people as well, should they want to take on the same path. :)

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 16:32
Ok, good news!

This is the reply I got from the ESMOD's officer's email (reply):

Her exact words, which I copy and pasted:

"Thank you for your interest in ESMOD.
I am Florent BONINI, in charge of international admissions for ESMOD.
In order to enter ESMOD, you just need the JLPT N2. But if you have the N1, it’s even better of course.

Actually, you do not need a guarantor. If you pass the entrance examination and you pay the tuition fees, you can enroll in ESMOD.

However, if you can provide a proof that you have enough fund to pay for the following year tuition fees, it’s even better. Your own account is ok. "

There. :)

Hope this helps other people as well!

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 17:02
according to internet information, "ESMOD JAPON" is a private COMPANY, NOT an educational school which is regulated under the Japan Ministry of Education. their web pages do not mention this point clearly.
"tokyo mode gakuen" is a 学校法人(gakkou houjin,educational foundation), meaning this is a school regulated under Ministry of Education.
the difference is like a home teacher who has no teaching license and a school teacher who has an official teaching license.

of course, it is your preference.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Financial Guarantor 2014/9/29 18:02
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your input. I've checked with the staff from ESMOD, and you're right (quick reply, how efficient of Japan!).

I guess it's Mode Gakuen for me then, as I plan to stay on to work in Tokyo after I finish the course. Having a 専門士 (senmon-shi) recognised by MEXT will entitle me to a working visa, should I be offered a job by a Japanese company. I would need that, as my current degree has nothing to do with the fashion industry.

Cheers for the feedback :)

reply to this thread