Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone loop 2014/9/29 17:04
Dear travel experts, I am making a 2-Day trip to Hakone area on 17 Dec and would like some assistance on my route,as below :-
17-Dec : Purchase Hakone Free Pass & Romance Car ticket from Shinjuku Station, arrive at Hakone-Yumoto. Hakone-Yumoto to Gora by Hakone Tozan Railway (Gora Park/ Open Air Museum);
Check-in ryokan (located in Gora) & spend the nite there
18-Dec : 10.00 am Check-out ryokan, continue with the loop.
6.00 pm : Take bus to Odawara Stn for shinkansen back to Tokyo Station
Questions :-
(1) Can we purchase the tickets to Hakone (including romance car) 2 days earlier at Shinjuku Stn?
(2) Upon arrival, is it better to do the loop as per my itinerary above or start with a reverse loop and stop at Gora for ryokan stay?
(3) If I do the reverse loop, I can depart for an earlier trip back to Tokyo (am worried that the shinkansen will be full during the evening)
(4)How long will it take to finish the loop at Gora, can we arrive at ryokan by check-in time if we do the reverse trip?
Appreciate all the advise given. Thank you very much
by anlim (guest)  

Re: Hakone loop 2014/9/30 11:49
Only if there are vacancies, it is available to buy Romancecar ticket shortly -15 minutes before the departure. But if you are going back to Tokyo by JR Shinkansen, I recommend you to purchase Hakone Freepass at Odawara station because Hakone Freepass includes a round trip fare from your departure station to Odawara, and 8 transportation systems - Hakone Tozan railway, funicular, rope way, pirate boat and 4 buses which are valid in 2 or 3 days within certain zone.
As for time, it depends on which sites you're interested in.
Taking funicular and rope way is a must, I 'm sure.
I believe the most closest and beautiful scenery of Mt. Fuji could be seen at Owakudani station, if the sky is clear.
by inexperienced tour guide rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone loop 2014/9/30 11:59
It's not a good idea to get back to Odawara by bus. Train is the safer if you need to take Shinkansen.
Local bus takes time. When the traffic is jammed, it would take an hour or more.
by inexperienced tour guide rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone loop 2014/9/30 20:09
Is it better to do the loop in reverse meaning Hakone Yumato-Gora-Togendai etc rather than Hakone-Yumato-Moto Hakone etc?

We are staying in Tonosawa overnight and would be dropping our lugagge first at Hakone Yumato so we are quite flexible in going either way.

How would you do the reserve route? What bus would you take to reach Moto Hakone for the ferry?

by Bart (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread