Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

proposal spots 2014/9/30 10:31
My Japanese partner and I live in Australia and she is going back to Japan in November to see her family and friends. I am going to be coming to Japan as a surprise to her and am planning to propse to her. She doesn't know I'm coming to Japan and i wanted to surprise her and do it the first day I see her. My plan was to do it in her home town in Hokkaido as i know a nice place we've been together,but she won't be in Hokkaido when i get to Japan,she thinks she'll be in Kansai, most likely Kyoto as she loves it there.
Any ideas on where abouts i could spring the question on her and how would i get her there without her knowing I'm in Japan?
by MrPowder  

Re: propsal spots 2014/9/30 22:23
Maybe tell her that you sent her a very important mail at her home that she would need to go there to pick it up?
If her family already know and approved that you are going to propose to her, why not have one of her family pretend that they need her to be home to do something quickly or so.
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/2 00:19
I would be very upset if someone told me that he sent me a very important mail to my home in Hokkaido that I would need to go there to pick it up when my mind was all set on traveling to Kyoto during a rare visit to my home country, even if it ended up to be for a marriage proposal, or especially if it ended up to be for a marriage proposal. It's not like postponing a trip to a store around the corner. It's just my opinion though. As for the original question, I'm afraid I don't have any answers. I'm just hoping all goes well.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/2 05:58
Hello,
If she'll be in Kyoto I have the perfect spot for you.
It's the Koudai-Ji in Kyoto:
https://www.google.de/maps/place/K%C5%8Ddai-ji/@35.0001385,135.7810353...

it's my favorit spot there, it'S on a plateau a little bit over Kyoto. So when the sun set you got a beautifull view over the City, and it's in the middle of the traditional part of Kyoto.

To get to the shrine you have to get up a long stone stair, and the first thing you will see is the big Buddha statue.

You could propose there, or another nice place would be in the bamboo forest you can visit with the shrine tour.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/2 21:46
Hokkaido is a long way from Kyoto. So I strongly suggest you to come up new plan to propose her in Kyoto. There are alot of nice places to propose in Kyoto because it traditional and fashionable.
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/3 20:07
As you live with your Japanese partner together and she will be leaving just for a few weeks to see her family, I suggest that you let her travel alone in Japan, and propose to her when she is back to Australia.
I mean, she decided to go to Japan alone, I guess she wants to stay with Japanese people only, during her visit in her home country.

You're going to propose her soon, so I guess you two both love each other. However, she may be upset that you won't let her be alone even for a few weeks, and I agree with Uco's comment.
Sometimes people need to be alone with their family members for short periods, even more if they visit their home country (that means, their former life).

I don't know the details about your relationship so I might be mistaken, but... won't she feel a bit harrassed if you follow her secretely to Japan?
by izquierda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/4 17:30
She asked me to come and really wants me to, but i told her i cant get time off work then and we need to save money.

I'm going to do it in Kyoto because she will be there when i arrive, i already have tickets and she'll be there to see friends and go to her friends wedding. So she won't be able to go back to Hokkaido then.

I'm thinking somewhere like koudai-ji as was suggested it seems very nice there.

Thanks for your help people, any more advice on location will be very appreciated.
by MrPowder rate this post as useful

Re: proposal spots 2014/10/5 10:48
Depends on how gpublich youfd like it to be; Kinkakuji is hard to beat for a backdrop.....but youfd have a huge audience....
Also, the river/canal area in Gion at dusk is pretty special, then have a restaurant booking nearby.
Good luck!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread