Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 17:26
How long does the train take from Tokyo to Osaka? Do you get good views of Mt Fuji? We are travelling in January 2015 - could we have a good look around Osaka in 1 day and travel back to Tokyo the same day? WE are very short of time so need to see the best things. Thanks
by Jo (guest)  

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 18:06
If you use the fastest shinkansen (Nozomi), it takes around 150 minutes. you can't use the JR pass for Nozomi.

With Hikari, add 20 minutes to that.

I would see Kyoto though if you have such a short time.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 18:08
Also if you asked to be seated on the mountain side en route to Osaka you may be able to see it.

Winter is the best time to see Mt. Fuji
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 20:40
If the weather is clear, you will see fuji but in the couple of dozen trips I've made along this route I've only had good views once! Fuji is on the right side heading to Osaka, left side to Tokyo.

the journey time is 2:30-3 hrs long and Osaka isn't really considered a day drip from Tokyo. The overall costs of a return ticket is a waste if you don't stay a few days.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 20:57
i strongly agree with pas7680, it takes about 3hr ride from tokyo to osaka.osaka is not a day trip unlike some cities in japan.

most people would stay in osaka or kyoto when visiting the surrounding cities and the cost of travel would be a waste of money.

if you already bought yourself a JR Pass, then go for it. osaka is a big city sightseens location are far apart.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 21:25
Do you get good views of Mt Fuji?

You can see the mountain if conditions are right, but perfect views may be a little hard to come by. I've seen Mt. Fuji a few times on that route but none of those encounters were particularly impressive.

Here's one from earlier this year (tail end of winter):

http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/field-report-at...

Another from a few years back, for comparison (spring):

http://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/the-k-on-guide-to-kyoto/

could we have a good look around Osaka in 1 day and travel back to Tokyo the same day?

I agree with pas7680's reply above; a round-trip shinkansen ticket will set you back nearly 30,000 yen which seems like an awful waste for a day trip. Also, even if cost wasn't a consideration, the journey there and back will eat up 5-6 hours which leaves you with less time for sightseeing. It's also worth bearing in mind that the shinkansen stops at Shin-Osaka Station, which is some distance away from the heart of the city where most of the attractions are, so you'll need to factor additional travel time into the equation. An overnight stay might be worth considering.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 21:51
I've been blessed by the spirits of Mt. Fuji in that all times I've used the Tokaido Shinkansen and all flights around it, I've been able to see it-obviously, those in daylight.... I took this in March 2012 on the way to Shin-Osaka after the March 11th anniversary commemorations I attended in Ishinomaki.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ushikawa/IMG_1030_zpsde173960.jp...
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Tokyo to Osaka 2014/9/30 22:01
Many people make a day trip to Kyoto or Osaka and consider it to be worth the time and cost. Once you know the details, you can decide if it is worth it for you. However, if you have some notion that you can sit on the train and enjoy a nice, long look at Mt. Fuji, you need to abandon that notion. If you see it at all it will only be for a few minutes. And only if you are very lucky will it be a clear and unobstructed view.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread