Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass validity question 2014/10/2 09:55
Hi there! thanks in advance for ny help.
im planning to fly into HND and make my way down to Fukuoka and back using the shinkansens. I'm planning on getting a week JRP.
my question is about the validity of the JRP.

I'm aware that it covers HIKARI, SAKURA, KODAMA, and TSUBAME...
But I know its not just that easy.

planning the journey from tokyo to fukuoka on hyperdia, its including "SHINKANSEN MAX TOKI 303" which i have no idea what that is, and "LTD. EXP HAKUTAKA 2."

Just curious if anyone has any more information! thanks again!
by Sylvaria (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass validity question 2014/10/2 12:01
Fukuoka station is not located in Fukuoka city, you want Hakata station. ;)

But do you really want to spend 6 hours in trains ?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass validity question 2014/10/3 07:01
I just found that out! very helpful to know haha

i had found plane tickets that were significantly cheaper to fly into tokyo instead of fukuoka however it was a fare error, so im going to just fly in to FUK as i originally planned!
by sylvaria (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass validity question 2014/10/3 14:48
Firas, have you ever seen the famous movie "Tokyo Story" Tōkyō Monogatari, by Ozu? it was made in 1953 and was chosen as one of the 100th best movies ever made in the world.

Whenever it screen in the Cinematheque in Vancouver, quite a few people want to see it again...
The aging parents in the story go by train from Hiroshima to Tokyo, and have to change trains stop in Osaka..just like now, but the trip was very long..
Trains then weren't comfortable and were very crowded.

At the time I was a child and it took around 8 hrs to go from Bordeaux to Paris...

It got better from 1967 on (still before the TGV) when the train Toulouse-Bordeaux-Paris was doing 200 km/h on SOME sections.
It still took nearly 6 hrs from Bordeaux to Paris..(Austerlitz was the only Paris station for the Aquitaine then).

In 1965 I was a soldier (it was compulsory for all fit young French guys). First I had to travel 2 hrs by bus from a military base in the Black Forest to Strasbourg.
Then, after a couple of hours wait, we took the train from Strasbourg to Paris..something like 5 hrs. then we went across Paris by Metro, and, after another couple of hours wait, took another train from Paris to Bordeaux..another 8 hrs.

Being soldiers we weren't allowed to sit in the trains compartments, even those with empty seats. We had to stand..
I tried to buy a first class ticket and was refused..soldiers not allowed.

Now THAT was a long trip..

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread