Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/2 17:18
I looked at Arashiyama's Bamboo Groves map on Japan Guide, and it looks like there is a middle entrance that connects to Tenryuji Temple. Is this route accessible by bicycles, or only by foot?

Can we park bicycles safely at Tenryuji Temple?

And is Otagi Nebutsuji Temple worth visiting by bicyles?
by hojo36 (guest)  

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/2 19:40
I looked at Arashiyama's Bamboo Groves map on Japan Guide, and it looks like there is a middle entrance that connects to Tenryuji Temple. Is this route accessible by bicycles, or only by foot?

Yes, it's accessible by bicycle via the bamboo groves.

Can we park bicycles safely at Tenryuji Temple?

Yes, just be sure to lock your bike.

And is Otagi Nebutsuji Temple worth visiting by bicyles?

Yup, visiting by bicycle is one of the best ways!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/2 21:14
The bamboo forest is very underwhelming so if you are going make sure to visit the temple and its gardens as well. I wouldnt make a special trip.
by Shogun26 rate this post as useful

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/2 21:40
I intend to visit this area in Nov.
I will walk from JR Saga Arashiyama station to Bamboo Groove, Togetsu Bridge and Kameyama-koen.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/2 21:42
The North gate of Tenryuji is on the Bamboo path. As I recall it is an entrance to the garden, but I have never seen a bicycle in a temple garden. People usually leave them outside.
I think the Bamboo Path is well worth seeing. It's not on a par with Fuji-san or Kiyomizu, but I've never seen anything like it in, say, Illinois. :)
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/3 03:49
Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies.

Since we are renting the bicycles, do they come with locks or do we have to provide our own?

The North entrance of Tenryuji from the Bamboo Groves does look like it connects to the temple's garden. If that's the case, we will have to walk back to the East main entrance to grab our parked bicycles.

Any recommendations which way we shld cycle back from Nenbutsuji Temple to the Saga Station? Should we pass the Daikokuji Temple or try criss crossing the residential area near Rakushisha (the Poet's Hut)?
by Ronald (guest) rate this post as useful

Nembutsu-ji to Saga Arahiyama 2014/10/3 23:39
Here is a map showing a good route (green lines). The streets have very little traffic.
On your way there are two places I recommend you stop; an ancient Emperor's tomb and Gio-ji, a small moss temple.
Maps and photos:
ROUTE: http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v108/p451781007-4.jpg

Detail: http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v119/p25964787-4.jpg

Tomb: http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v132/p151328160-4.jpg

Gio-ji: http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v139/p214468941-4.jpg

Gio-ji 2014/10/4 07:07
I forgot to mention Gio-ji even has a small Bamboo Path.

Gio-ji and Emperor's Tomb 2014/10/4 12:21
Thanks Dick, these maps are fantastic. I didn't know about that Tomb, looks interesting to visit.

We wanted to go to Gio-ji but unsure if it's worth the time because we heard we have to appy via a postcard, help them write down sutras in Japanese (don't know how long this will take), and only then we can go through the moss garden.

Would this delay our trip since we will already be spending the morning session taking the Sagano Scenic Train?

Gio-ji 2014/10/4 22:55
: ... we heard we have to appy via a postcard, help them write down sutras in Japanese (don't know how long this will take), and only then we can go through the moss garden."

Not true. I don't know where you heard that. Gio-ji is a very small place. In fact there is no real temple building. It shouldn't take more than a 15-20 minute detour.

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/5 07:01
Ah, you are right. I mistook Gioji with Kokedera. Cool, in that case I will definitely add Gio-ji and the tomb to my itinerary. Thanks!

Re: Bamboo Groves entrances Arashiyama 2014/10/5 07:58
I suggest taking a trip down across the togetsukyo bridge and visit the monkey park in the mountains, it was my favorite part of Arashiyama.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread