Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Miyama tours guides 2014/10/3 02:42
Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Japan in November. Staying in Kyoto mainly and exploring only Kansai area. I have few questions:

1. I want to go on a side trip from Kyoto to Miyama. I checked online and it seems quite tricky if you don't know Japanese. And I have very limited knowledge of Japanese. So is it possible to do solo trip with no Japanese skills or should I use tour guides? Are there any good tour guides (operators) you can recommend?
2. Is the lack of Japanese speaking skills going to create a lot of problems? I know few phrases to get by, but don't know the Kanji. I could learn Hiragana and Katakana though.

Would really appreciate your help!
Thanks!
Aizhan
by Aizhan (guest)  

Re: Best Miyama tours guides 2014/10/3 15:03
I can't speak Japanese to save my life, but I have been around the Kansai on my own many times.
Walking a lot, but also taking trains and subways.

Having a good guide book and maps helped me map my routes. I have also found people that spoke from basic to good English and French.

It was definitely easier than in Shanghai, but there too I managed..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Miyama tours guides 2014/10/3 16:36
I would try to learn Japanese as much as possible. In my experience buses (especially in rural areas) often only have the stops displayed in Kanji and/or Hiragana. And Japan Guide tells me you need to take a bus in the last dreg.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread