Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 00:30
I will be on business visit to Tokyo in November and I will have one free day. I will be staying at a hotel in Marunochi area and would like to see a a bit of city without taking any trains. Grateful for any one recommendation.

I couldn't speak Japanese and I am keen on culture seeing local lifestyle and I am into a bit of shopping, not for luxury items
by One day visit tokyo (guest)  

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 09:34
I do not speak Japanese either, but really had no trouble using the subways as long as I studied the maps and knew what subway lines I wanted to travel on and what direction I needed to head. Just don't travel during rush hours!
If you still don't want to use the subways, I think you can walk to the Ginza from Marunouchi for shopping and sightseeing. Also, I think there are some big department stores in your area also. Just study the posts in this website to get more information.
Just try to enjoy your trip.
by 56Premiere rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 09:40
If you are "keen on culture seeing local lifestyle", you will not get much of that just around Tokyo Station!!

I'd catch the JR Yamanote Line to Nippori, then out the western exit. Then you'll see more of the local culture & lifestyle.

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 11:18
If you are "keen on culture seeing local lifestyle", you will not get much of that just around Tokyo Station!!

Really - why is that? Did everyone around Tokyo Station recently arrive from Mars or something?

There's plenty of local culture and lifestyle around Tokyo station, from the hundreds of shops and the modern architecture and the art galleries to the thousands of after-work izakaya where ordinary people go to unwind.

Or perhaps that's not quaint and exotic and "Oriental" enough for you?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 11:19
Why not train? pretty tall?

Marunouchi(Chiyoda ward) and around Tokyo station(Chuo ward) is one of big business town not bed town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_wards_of_Tokyo
by Neos (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 11:45
If you truely don't want to catch trains then my suggestions are:
East Gardens of the Imperial Palace (Kokyo Higashi Gyoen) about 10 minutes walk from Marunochi area. Check opening times.

Tsukiji Fish Market, early morning, if that your thing.

Ginza a must, Mitsukoshi esp. the Food Hall and Matsuya... you can find interesting things to buy that won't break the bank.

Yurakucho... next to Marunouchi, little bit more like older Japan, than Ginza is,

Don't be afraid of the trains though, you can download some great apps, that you have on hand, the subways and stations, the street maps, I'm sure you will really enjoy it all, and November is usually a good temperature to walk.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 12:39
Marunouchi is a very nice area with some of the best architecture in the city (modern office and shopping buildings). The area is lively at night with some massive shopping complexes right outside Tokyo Station that include a huge number of restaurants. The north side of Tokyo station is one of the prettiest buildings in Tokyo, and views of it are fantastic from the south facing restaurants and patios. As others have said, riding the subway is a must do Tokyo experience... fun, and even child can figure out the English maps.
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 15:52
Umami Dearest:

"

Really - why is that? Did everyone around Tokyo Station recently arrive from Mars or something?

There's plenty of local culture and lifestyle around Tokyo station, from the hundreds of shops and the modern architecture and the art galleries to the thousands of after-work izakaya where ordinary people go to unwind.

Or perhaps that's not quaint and exotic and "Oriental" enough for you? "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My mother is Japanese, so please don't act like a supreme court judge!!!! :P

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Tokyo - not use trains 2014/10/6 17:05
My mother is Japanese, so please don't act like a supreme court judge!!!! :P

What a weird non-sequitur - do you think you're racially immune to criticism? Your silly comment that there's no local culture around Tokyo Station simply makes it sound like you have a romanticized, anti-urban view of Japan, whatever your family background might be.

Back to the OP: there's plenty to do for a whole day within walking distance of Marunouchi - it's a great part of town. You could spend half a day just in the underground passages around Tokyo station.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread