Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 00:27
Hi i will be visiting Japan during 23 Dec 2014 to 7 Jan 2015. I will be spending my Christmas and Hatsumode in Japan. Need some help with my Itinerary.

23 Dec - Tokyo
24 Dec - Tokyo
25 Dec - Tokyo
Would like to spend this 3 days in tokyo to see christmas lighting. Any good place to enjoy the lighting.

26 Dec - Tokyo to Matsuyama
27 Dec - Matsuyama
28 Dec - Matsuyama to Osaka
29 Dec - Osaka (Universal Studio)
30 Dec - Osaka to Amanohashidate

31 Dec - Osaka to Tokyo
01 Jan - Tokyo
Wanna enjoy the Hatsumode festivitites in tokyo (Meiji Shrine)

02 Jan - Tokyo
03 Jan - Tokyo
Any place i can visit on 2 & 3 Jan out of tokyo. I was thinking (Edo Wonderland, Sendai, Nikko, Nagoya, Kawasaki, Kamakura) Which 1 will make full use of the JR pass.

04 Jan - Tokyo to Yudanaka
05 Jan - Yudanka
Wanna spend 2 day enjoyig Onsen

06 Jan - Yudanka to Tokyo(Narita)
07 Jan - Depart from Narita Airport

Can i know that with my itinerary. Will it be more worth it to buy the Japan Rail way Pass or i should just buy the JR Kansai & JR East Pass.

Thank you for all the help.
by Traveler J  

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 16:14
I can read you will visit many many spots from east japan to west japan.
Considering your itinerary, it will become worth to purchase JR pass following comparing JR Pass site.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/JR-PassKintetsu-Pass-vs-Single-Ticket/5...
By the way, Omotesando will become beautiful night view during Christmas.
http://omotesando.or.jp/en
by MayG (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 16:30
Get JR 7 days pass and activate when you going to travel to Matsuyama, exactly 7 days when you return to Tokyo.

For best viewing, my best advice would be, follow the crowds especially the local crowds, they normally know where is good spot to view stuffs eg. I follow the crowds when I was in Kanazawa, I was walking back from dinner and saw a lot of people walking into one area and I just follow to check them out, it turns out that there was a Firework festival and it was one spot to view them. Otherwise you could always check online for more info.

For your New year trip, always make sure to double check if they will be opened during that period of time. Do also reserve your seat on 31st Dec in advance, I would assume it will be totally packed+hectic+chaos with lots of people traveling.

My only complain with your itinerary is... why is Kyoto not included... and why so many days in Osaka... To quote my friend on Osaka and Tokyo , "Whatever you find in Osaka, you will find it better in Tokyo". While some people might not agree on this, I personally agree with this. Any reason why Kyoto is not included?
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 16:33
My bad on JR duration, if you activate on the day you travel to Matsuyama, you will have 1more day on JR 7 days pass after your return to Tokyo.

I believe you would probably have checked, nevertheless, be aware that Tokyo to Matsuyama is ~450minutes.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 18:39
Hi,

MayG, thank you i will put Omotesando in the place to visit during christmas.

Vinces7. I been to kyoto and osaka before. This time visiting osaka is just that i wanna go to family owl cafe whiich seem interesting and unviersal studio as i am a fan of harry potter. Last time when i visit it is not yet open.

Matsuyama is really very far. I actually dun really wanna travel that far but the dogo onsen is something i wanna see myself as i heard it is use as a set for spirited away.

My itinerary is not yet fixed as i still trying to figure which place really interest me. the only thing i can confirm is christmas and new year i wanna be in tokyo.

by Traveler J rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/9 19:17
Tokyo-Matsuyama is indeed a long trip by train (7 to 8 hours). You might want to consider flying. Jetstar flies from Narita to Matsuyama, but the prices for Dec. 26 are not at all "low cost", probably because it's a very busy season. ANA's "Experience Japan" fare for 10,000 yen might be a better choice

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/wws_common/promotion/experience_jp/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/10 02:10
some history about Christmas lighting in Tokyo can be found in the following page(s):

http://tokyoyakei.jp/christmastop.html
by tedrabjg rate this post as useful

Re: English version 2014/10/10 05:24
Hi tedrabig. Also interested in above site but is it available in English. Thanks
by Lyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need help in my Itinerary 2014/10/10 08:44
On the top right hand corner of http://tokyoyakei.jp/, there is a button that says "English Page". Clicking it shows an English "map". Further clicking of specific locations takes one to Japanese pages again. With online webpage translation, you should be able to get much information about the specific locations.
by tedrabjg rate this post as useful

reply to this thread