Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen etiquette 2014/10/10 08:51
Hi everybody,
does any one know if having flip-flops sandals on (like you do by a pool) when going around in a japanese onsen is permitted or you must be barefoot, no exception granted ? I know this may sound silly, but I'm worried about fungi as I had some bad experience when I did'n weare them by the pool where I go swimming.
Thanks for your answer.
Manuele
by Manuele (guest)  

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/10 13:06
When you say "onsen" I am assuming the actual bathing area inside the building (of a "ryokan" Japanese traditional inn, or at a spa), going from the locker room to the actual bath, where everyone washes/takes shower, then dips into the water? Then please stay barefoot.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/10 16:25
Your slippers may be dirty.
You may slip in the wet area.
I think it is better to be barefooted.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/10 17:12
there is usually tatami flooring in the changing area so you must be barefoot or wearing socks. In the actual bathing area you must be barefoot.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/11 00:08
The decent onsens are cleaned thoroughly each day with a brush. Choose those. Either way, flipflops are not a good idea, and they may get washed away since there is no place to keep them while you're in the tub.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/13 20:13
Think of the other users...they don't want your flip flops in the bath...for exactly the reason that you want to wear them.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen etiquette 2014/10/16 10:28
Definitely a BAD IDEA. If a Japanese spots you wearing *anything* in the bathing area they are gonna freak out on you.. lol..
by basketcase rate this post as useful

reply to this thread