Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/11 14:43
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good places for okonomiyaki in Osaka? I heard this is the most popular dish for this area.

Thanks

Also, does anyone know if there are any cooking lessons offered anywhere in Tokyo or Osaka? I am going there mid November and wondered if I could just go register and take one cooking class? It should be eventful...
by flonie (guest)  

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/11 18:04
Chibo is the go-to place for okonomiyaki: http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/8064.html
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/12 06:59
Tabelog seems to disagree (3.14/5): http://tabelog.com/osaka/A2701/A270202/27002622/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/12 10:30
There is a wonderful Okonomiyaki place in Umeda: KOTOBUKI
It is about half way down the first alley from the main drag at the New Hankyu Hotel concierge end of the hotel.
It is hard to find: its up 2 flights of stairs:
Great food, one man owner: small amount of seating, and he speaks enough English for you to have a great night.
We go back every time we go to Japan, and go more than once.
Ask the Concierge for better directions: it was they who told us about it. Hefs closed on Sundays.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/12 10:37
Tabelog seems to disagree (3.14/5)

A) You don't know much about Tabelog if you think that - have you actually read the reviews?

B) 3.14 is a pretty decent rating for a budget restaurant on Tabelog.

C) Tabelog ratings are notoriously unreliable anyway.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/12 14:10
I am a former Osakan. Okonomiyaki is popular in Osaka, but this is not so "special" food. It is, say, like something between hotdog and pizza, or maybe macaroni and cheese. Most Osakan families have their own recipe for Okonomiyaki. If I am living in Osaka and some friends come to Osaka, I will not take them to Okonomiyaki. Of course I like it, but it is very casual food. There are some "nice" Okonomiyaki shops (I do not want to call it "restaurant"), maybe, others will serve some "decent" Okonomiyaki: It's just a mixture of egg, flour, water and cabbage. As far as I read about Chibo in Tabelog reviews, it looks fairly good for me, though somewhat expensive. This is not obstinate type shop, since it has Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. You might find more highly rated shops in Tabelog, but as Umami Dearest says, 3.14 for this type shops
is enough, I think.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/12 14:47
Thanks alot for everyone's suggestions!
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/13 17:30
I've read Mizuno is really good. Can anyone confirm?
by agony2 rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for good Okonomiyaki in Osaka 2014/10/13 22:28
I went to Chibo this March and really enjoyed myself. Friends of mine were visiting Osaka for the 1st time and were keen to try Okonomiyaki. They declared it as their new fav Japanese food. I thought it was really tasty, too.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread