Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji 2014/10/12 14:32
Hi,

Restoration of Himeji Castle is coming close to its complete date Mar'15.

Is the interior opened for visit now?

Between Hikone Castle and Nijio Castle, any recommendation between the two? I am staying at Osaka.

Thanks to advice.
by CSS456 (guest)  

Re: Himeji 2014/10/12 14:40
Is the interior opened for visit now?

The interior of the castle building is closed until next spring, but the inner grounds of the castle (outdoor areas) are open.

Between Hikone Castle and Nijio Castle, any recommendation between the two? I am staying at Osaka.

They are two completely different castles. The main difference: Hikone has a donjon, but Nijo does not. On the other hand, Nijo has an original palace, while Hikone's palace is just a recent, partial reconstruction.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji 2014/10/12 17:27
As far as Hikone Castle versus Nijo Castle, I'd say if your interest is in castles you will like Hikone much better since the donjon (main keep) is really what most people think of and want to see when they say "I want to visit a castle".

Nijo Castle is a great place and very worthwhile, so if you are visiting Kyoto at all, you could add it to your itinerary, but if you can only visit one and your purpose is to see a castle keep, you should go to Hikone.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji 2014/10/12 17:37
Agreed, Hikone is really impressive and I preferred it, though the gardens at Nijo are nice as well. If you have the time and a JR pass though you could also try Matsumoto castle. The grounds are nowhere near as nice as Hikone, but the castle is awesome and it has a collection of armour and weaponry that is as good as any I've seen. Matsumoto could be done in a day from Osaka, via Nagoya (shinkansen to Nagoya then out to Nagoya on the Chuo line). It would probably be 4 hours each way though.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji 2014/10/12 19:39
Lazy Pious: I really appreciate your input: I have had a different name here : had to change it due to email hacked:
can you please elaborate re Hikone/Himeji: we will definitely be going to Himeji, and plan to see its accompanying garden, en route to Mt Shosa in April.
Just wondering whether to factor in a day trip from Osaka to Hikone as well?? We have already seen Inuyama and Matsumoto in detail.
Thanks!!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji 2014/10/12 20:11

As Uji and others have pointed out, Nijō and Hikone are very different castles and one or the other might provide a more rewarding experience, depending on your interests.

Nijō looks more like a fortified palace than an archetypal Japanese castle, having lost its main tower but retained its splendid lord's residence and moat/walls. If you're in the mood for gardens and stately architecture, this one's a good option, and being in Kyōto puts it within easy reach of your base in Ōsaka.

http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/field-report-ky...

Hikone, on the other hand, no longer has its original palace (though a modern replica was built to add museum space to the compound) but it still has its original main tower, which leaves it with a more classic castle atmosphere. This one is farther from Ōsaka but is worth visiting to see elements of martial architecture, and the lovely Genkyū-en nearby offers the chance to enjoy a traditional garden.

And of course, one can't forget Hiko-nyan - Hikone Castle's adorable, er, samurai-cat-thing mascot.

http://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/diegos-day-at-hikone-cast...

I'm rather obsessed with Japanese castles myself (I always visit at least one whenever I'm there), so if I were in your place I'd probably visit both of them. But if your time and transportation options are limited, one or the other will make a good choice.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

reply to this thread