Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

difference between Nihonbashi and Nihombashi 2014/10/12 22:30
I am going to visit Japan and going to stay in Tokyo for some work at Takashimaya Nihonbashi.I want to know the difference between Nihonbashi and Nihombashi. At some places it is written Nihonbashi and at some places it is written Nihombashi.
by Archu (guest)  

Re: difference between Nihonbashi and Nihombashi 2014/10/13 09:56
There is none. Nihonbashi and Nihombashi are two ways to transcribe 日本橋 into Latin characters. Remember that any time you see a Japanese word written in Latin characters, it is not the "real" word, just a transliteration.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: difference between Nihonbashi and Nihombashi 2014/10/13 12:03
Although, there is no difference, I think it's more common for it to be romanised as Nihombashi. The reason for why there are 2 different romanisations is because it uses the hiragana ん. This would normally be pronounced as an n, but sounds more like an m when it comes before a syllable starting with b or p. For words that follow this rule, people generally write the ん character as m, but there is no one correct way to write it, as there are different romaji systems, and romaji isn't native to Japanese. This is also used for other words such as Tempura and Shimbashi.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: difference between Nihonbashi and Nihombashi 2014/10/13 16:31
by Mah (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread