Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 11:08
I'm going to Tokyo next month. Would like to visit a vibrant sector of Shinjuku with alleys, shops and cafes. I presume I can find these at Kabukicho? Never ventured east of Shinjuku, only done a bit of west and south. Can anyone recommend how to get there from the station? I don't really want to go to the seedy part of Kabukicho...

Tq!
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 13:37
Go North of JR Shinjuku station and you will eventually reach Kabukicho, the place is no problem until 6 Pm where touters start to appear on street.

Do not go alone if possible, if you do (with or without friends etc), always reject any touters no matter what.

Otherwise, East of Shinjuku has plenty to offer too. One method is to take Metro to Shinjuku-san-chome go to C6 Exit (if I remember correctly, via elevator, it is either C5 or C6 and it is elevator exit, once you exit the elevator there will be a building to the left of you, slightly to the front, walk through the building and you will be at Shinjuku-sanchome food area)

Or just go East of JR Shinjuku, walk towards Isetan etc
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 16:08
Oh, I'll be staying in E Higashi Shinjuku hotel which is at Kabukicho area. But I have a friend with me.

How about shinjuku-ku area? Is it safe? The full address is 7-27-9 Shinjuku, This area near to Higashi Shinjuku station.
by nicole liau rate this post as useful

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 16:25
In general, Japan is safe as long you practice safety common sense.

Most importantly, if someone touts you, ignore them, whatever the touts. Make sure you make the decision to enter a place yourself rather than being touted.

The touters in Kabukicho are more annoying and IRRITATING more than dangerous, we actually visited one of the Unagi restaurant in the middle of Kabukicho several times.

I prefer to dine in East Shinjuku (at Shinjuku Sanchome) as compare to West Shinjuku (West of JR station) mainly due to less tourists in the East side.

The only time i feel I am in danger is when I am hiking up a mountain trail alone wondering if some bears will just jump out... There was warning about bears appearance at Takayama Bus Station, though it was in different area...

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 16:35
I think Shimo Kitazawa would be much safer and more interesting than Kabukicho.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 16:37
Never been to Shimo Kitazawa, but I do agree that Kabukicho is not really that interesting. Also maybe because we are dodging all the touters haha, though it still deserves a visit at night at least once.

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 17:15
Golden Gai and Omoide Yokocho. I don't find Kabukicho to be scary or dangerous. As already directed numerous times, ignore the touts.
by chicken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vibrant Shinjuku 2014/10/14 17:16
Just finished a stay at E hotel and we never it approached in our walk from the hotel, but we walked down the street near hanazono shrine. I agree with ignoring anyone who tries to tout you. Last time my hotel was in kabukicho proper (best western) and I was only approached once which I ignored and pretended not to understand and they left me alone pretty quick. I'm a 23 year old female if that information help. As for going to the little pubs and stuff, we went to the Australian bar in golden gai (aruka? Red sign in romanji in the first lane from the main street, upstairs with fuzzy walls.). On Sundays a guy called Shim works and he's absolutely lovely and happy to have a conversation with you. If you introduce yourself and your country they waive the cover charge.
by chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread