Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shodoshima daytrip 2014/10/18 02:42
Ok bare with me it is a long post!

I will be in the Kansai region from 24th November to the 5th of december

From the 24th to the 1ste we will be traveling around, Koyasan, kyoto, kinosaki, Asago, to end in Kobe cause my husband has to attend a conference there for the remaining days (also the main reason we can go!)

So for three days I'm kind of on my own, I've already arranged asday to visit Osaka with a volenteer guide. Then fell in love with Shodoshima so naturally i really really want to visit it.

But this is where i am stuck, really stuck. Finding out how to get around on shodoshima has been really dificult. I can't find a good bus schedule (english and not in the Triennale periode). I've been searching the site of the local bus operater but i'm not getting anywhere.

First was going to do a day trip taking the ferry from Himeji to Fukuda. But saw that i could't get from Kobe to Himeji on time to make that ferry. So i thought to stay a night in Himeji at a youth hostel (cause this day trip is on a tight budget) to be able to catch the first ferry easily. Then cycle around Shodoshima returning on the last ferry back to Himeji. But Fukuda doesn't have bicycle rental place. So i thought to go by bus to the nearest place to rent one. (but with what i can sus out that would cost me quite some time.( urg dilemma!

Second i thought if i am going to stay a night away from my husband for the convenience of travel anyway why not take the last ferry to Shodoshima the night before book the hostel there and rent a bike! Which would have been perfect cause the local hostel there has bike rental also and is by the sea! but when i wanted to book that they informed me they'd be closed due to manaintance.

The other hotels seem out of my price range then i found a good room in Tonosho right on the other side of the island. Of course but unsure if i could get there with the bus late at night i'm not sure what to do. I could rent a bike in Tonosho no problem which would be ideal but what i can't figure out is. I read some travelblogs from people visiting shohoshima that they rente bike one port and parken thema at another. So not returning them to the original bike shop. Is that really possible. i wouldn't just want to be rude and leave the rental bike anywhere behind before skipping off on a ferry.

Then i thought maybe take a ferry from a different port than Himeji but that seemed to take up so much travel time to get to another port i didn't know what to do.

So there you are I don't know what to do. I am being very subborn but I really want to visit shodoshima.

Where can i find an accurate (english) bus schedule? Can i part the rental bicycle at terminals at any port? Wh
by Japont (guest)  

Re: Shodoshima daytrip 2014/10/19 01:04
There is a ferry service between Kobe and Shodoshima by Jumbo Ferry.
The ferry stops at Sakate port, located at the south-east of Shodoshima island.

And There is renta-cycle servise at Sakate port.
Eigamura(Movie village) and Marukin Soy Sause Factory are not far from Sakate.

Perfect! Isn't it?

http://www.shoudoshima-ferry.co.jp/pdf/jumbo-ferry-guide-book.pdf
by Japanboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shodoshima daytrip 2014/10/19 01:41
I know it would be but I thought that line was only served during art festival time the triennale.

Or am i wrong (otherwise it would be quite good!)
by Japont (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shodoshima daytrip 2014/10/19 09:15
I know it would be but I thought that line was only served during art festival time the triennale.

They do modify the schedule slightly for the festival period, but otherwise the ferry runs yearround. Just note that there are not that many connections, but arriving at 9:10 and leaving at 15:50 should give you plenty of time to explore the southeastern side of the island.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread