Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/19 16:08
I am asked that frequently and I almost say that it is. I especially work with clients from China and the US who are very interested in relocating to Japan.
by hsakakibara1  

Re: Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/20 12:19
It 100% depends on the situation for each person you speak to, and I don't think asking this question of random people on an online forum is going to get you the learned, well-thought out answer you seem to be seeking. So maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/20 12:40
I especially work with clients from China and the US who are very interested in relocating to Japan.

I just hope that you and your clients know that japanese nationality is not something you get on arrival at Narita... They will have to spend several years (more than 5 or 10, I don't remember) in Japan before being allowed to fill in several forms and hope to be accepted.

PS: It is not a "right" to get citizenship or permanent residency after several years, it is rather a "privilege" meaning the request can be rejected.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/20 14:06
I totally agree with the post as of 12:40, so it's kind of odd that the OP is "asked that frequently" by "clients from China and the US who are very interested in relocating to Japan." The answer should usually be "you have to find out in the years you live here."

But just for the record, I know someone who said that the only disadvantage of him not getting a Japanese nationality is that he can't vote here in Japan. On the other hand, athletes often obtain Japanese nationality so that (s)he can participate in a big game which would be beneficial if (s)he was part of the Japanese team.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/21 09:51
I totally agree with the post as of 12:40, so it's kind of odd that the OP is "asked that frequently" by "clients from China and the US who are very interested in relocating to Japan." The answer should usually be "you have to find out in the years you live here."

It's an extremely common question, considering the procedures of other countries. Plus the people that ask this are usually just in the starting phases of their planning. Those that are further along (and already living in Japan) are more aware of Japan's particular system.

But otherwise, I would agree that there is no blanket advice and it totally depends on the particular situation. For example, US citizens may be better off keeping their US citizenship and getting Japanese PR instead of naturalizing, unless their tax situation is such that they would benefit from naturalizing.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is choosing Japanese nationality advisable? 2014/10/21 21:57
yllwsmrf, yes, that's what I meant to write. I don't think that the question itself is odd. We get these questions every now and then on this very forum, don't we. Sorry for being misleading and thank you for clearing that up.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread