Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/20 00:49
I'm going on vacation to Japan in a few weeks. I want to visit Tokyo, Yokohama, and Osaka. Would it be cheaper to buy the 7 day pass or buy round trip ticket for Tokyo to Osaka, and Tokyo to Yokoama? I plan on spending most of the time in Tokyo, just not sure about transportation cost. Thank you
by Mike (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/20 11:27
Where are you flying into and out of? If you make a round trip between Tokyo and Osaka, the 7 day will pay off.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/20 18:59
I'm flying into Narita airport. I know from the airport to Tokyo isn't too expensive, but going to Osaka is not a trivial distance. Thanks for the help :)
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/20 19:24
Unless are coming back to Tokyo within 7 days,it will not pay off. 
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/21 01:00
Hi, i'm going to japan in Nov. Using Tokyo as a base and visiting Yokohama and Osaka. Plan to use Shinkansen to Osaka.

I think 1 way from Tokyo to Osaka is already $13,000+ yen.
Together with Yokohama, i think it shd more or less be better off buying rail pass.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/21 01:24
Are you planning to return to Tokyo from Osaka within 7 days? Others have already asked this question.

The price for trip between Tokyo and Yokoyama is trivial compare to JR pass.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/22 04:53
use hyperdia.com to calculate your train travel. Enter your departure and arrival locations and it presents multiple route options including cost and time. You can then compare the cost of individual trips against the total cost for a pass. You can exclude Nozomi from the hyperdia search criteria as this train is exempt from the JR rail pass.
by Robyn chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka 2014/10/22 14:46
I was using hyperdia for the Tokyo to Osaka. Noticed the nozomi and the other shinkansen are the same price. Is that correct ? It would be strange that jr pass not applicable for nozomi if they are the same price.

Thanks.

Yes, i am going to Osaka and then back to Tokyo. Looks like even that, it is just about the price of jr pass. As mentioned, the Yokohama trip and those within Tokyo will probably not make significant difference
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread