Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/20 13:05
Hi there, I'm planning my plan to drive in Hokkaido. In some areas, particularly in Sapporo, I found it is very likely I will need to use the elevator car parking system. But I'm not sure about the processes. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to drive into the elevator myself?

2. Will they have someone attended or I need to deal with the machine and press some buttons myself?

3. If I need to press buttons myself, say no English instructions printed on the machine. What are the clues how to use the machine?

4. If there is a staff there, at which moment should I wait for the parking card? Before driving inside the elevator or after?

5. I had a look on the Google map, in an area such as Susukino, many of these elevator car parks are situated in alleys. If I need to wait before driving inside the car park area, is it common to temporary park my car close to either left or right of the street and just make sure there is enough room for the traffic at the back to pass through? Is this the common practice in Japan or I need to drive around until there is an available one to park?

Many thanks
by Red Eagle 112  

Re: The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/20 16:49
Which parking?

Street view URL pls!
by ECx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/20 17:38
1. Do I need to drive into the elevator myself?

I've rented a car in Sapporo, but can't recall using an elecator style parking facility. That said, all elevator style parking I've used in Japan in the 20 something years of driving here were all attended.

You can't really make mistakes at those places, as the attendant does everything for you that you can hardly try to do anything yourself! Most things are done by gestures, so no worries about language barrier either.

The only mistake I've witnessed is a driver accidentally leaving the car with her keys locked in. There usually is a recorded announcement warning you not to forget anythng behind, but it's such a routine that people tend to ignore it. Just make sure you have your gear in P, your engine stopped and have got hold of everything you need, before leaving your car. You keep your car keys, by the way.

4. If there is a staff there, at which moment should I wait for the parking card? Before driving inside the elevator or after?

If there is a card, a machine will give it to you as it opens the gate. But quite often, they only give you a piece of paper instead of a "card" and that paper is given from the attendant as you leave the parking lot. Just be sure you were given something from the attendant and you'll be fine.

Also, shops, restaurants and other facilities might give you discount for your parking. You can try showing your slip to the shop to see if they have discounts. Otherwise, you can ask the parking attendant beforehand about "waribiki (discount)".

5. I had a look on the Google map, in an area such as Susukino

I'm a bit concerned. You aren't trying to drink and drive, are you? The law is very strict now and they never let you do that anyway. Most locals would park their car at their hotels and use public transportation from there. Public transportation in Sapporo is extremely convenient and warm and it gives you the freedom to do many things you can't do while having a car to drive, especially with snow coming. Most drinking places also have "dai-kou service" in which you can pay for 2 drivers, one to drive your car home and one to drive you home.

If I need to wait before driving inside the car park area, is it common to temporary park my car close to either left or right of the street and just make sure there is enough room for the traffic at the back to pass through? Is this the common practice in Japan or I need to drive around until there is an available one to park?

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. If you are a driver waiting for a parking space to become unoccupied, you just wait at the entrance sitting in the driver's seat.

Meanwhile, if you need to park along a curb for some reason, you should always park on the left side of the street unless it's a one way road (but even on a one way road, people tend to park on the left).

But strictly speaking, if you stop your car along a no-parking curb for (I think it was) more than 6 seconds, that's considered illegal parking. If the car is attended, however, the police would just give you an oral warning without giving you a ticket right there.

When I'm driving alone and have trouble finding the parking lot for the facility I'm using, I try to park closest to the entrance as possible or somewhere I can see my car, and quickly ask a clerk where I should park. I wouldn't risk leaving my car unattended at a no-parking spot for so long, at least not in the city.

I hope that answers your questions.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/20 21:20
It's normally at least one parking staff is there unless you are using a monthly contract car parking.

There is a "STOP" line, stop your car there. The parking staff asks you to fold side mirrors and car aerial.

The staff will hand you or the pay machine will automatically issue a parking slip as you stop the car, keep the slip carefully.

The staff drives your car into the elevator,
get your car key back then off you go.

When you back, insert the parking slip into the pay machine or hand it to the staff, pay the parking charge there. You will be issued a receipt you have paid the parking charge. Hand your car key to the staff. Your car will get down, the staff will reverse your car, open side mirrors and car aerial again, then you can go.

If you rent a large van or some type of mini-van, SUV and truck, your car is not permitted to park into tower parking due to height reason.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/21 01:56
Wow! No wonder why people want to live in Sapporo!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: The processes of using an elevator car park 2014/10/25 00:15
Thank you very much, Uco and tokyo friend 48. Your two replies are very useful, very appreciate. Yes, your answers have answered my questions, Uco.

And no, Uco, I do not drink then drive. I'm responsible for others' lives. I also know it is very strict in developed countries, particularly in Japan. I do respect your country : ). Thanks for warning me : ).

ECx, I already took the screen shot from the Google Map, but there is no option I can put it on the forum. Thanks for your intention to help anyway : ).
by Red Eagle 112 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread