Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 12:57
I was told that as a foreigner I should only go to Tokyo , is this true?? I really want to go to Kyoto because of the culture
by chaotic88  

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 13:30
Definitely do not limit yourself to Tokyo! A good balanced first Japan trip almost always includes spending time in traditional Kyoto in addition to modern Tokyo.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 14:21
Whoever told you that should get a big smack at the head. Don't worry too much about visiting the main cities in Japan, you will get by without knowing Japanese as long you exercise patience and body language as needed.

Kyoto is pretty used to having foreigners visiting the town, so I don't see any issue with it.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 14:49
I don't think the advice was necessarily about accessibility, as Kyoto is arguably one of the most accessible cities in Japan. Rather I've typically heard similar advice (given by other foreigners no less) from those whose personal or cultural travel interests focus more on the modern side of Japan. On the other hand, it isn't uncommon to see similar ideas posted on this very forum with the (often misguided) advice to skip Tokyo and focus on the more rural or traditional side of the country instead. But as I recommended, a good balanced trip would include both aspects of Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 15:10
Pretty much what yllwsmrf said , and also to add, remember that one person advice is still mainly his/her own personal opinions based on their interests and purpose of visits etc, so best is to know what you are interested with and research on this site or other site.

However, a balance trip as suggested would be good for first timer, ie. if times permit, Tokyo Osaka Kyoto etc.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 15:35
To be fair, Kyoto's also not short on modern features. It's not all temples and maiko.

Sure, it's not giant robots, cosplay, and Shibuya intersection, but the modern bits of it can still quite be quite amazing - depending on where you call home.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 15:56
Kyoto was top sightseeing spots as Tripadvisor.
There are old town & modern street also.
I sure you to visit Kyoto rather than visiting Tokyo.
Easy access to Osaka, Nara,Kobe also.
http://kanko.city.kyoto.lg.jp/
http://japanpockettravelguide.weebly.com/osaka-area.html
by Jones (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kyoto 2014/10/21 21:25
People are stupid to advise you not to visit Kyoto. Kyoto are better than Tokyo for me. It really depend on your type. Kyoto is great place to see old traditional especially shrine, foods, temples, and Geisha/Maiko. It very pleasant to walk around in Kyoto and it not a crowding city as Tokyo.
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread