Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I met my wife here 2014/10/22 04:55
Hi all,

It has been a very long time since I have visited this site, but I thought I'd share my personal story.
I have been interested in Japan since my early teenage years, and always tried to talk with as many Japanese people in my free time as possible. I was not particularly looking for a Japanese girlfriend (actually, most people I got in contact with through the friend finder tool on this website stopped mailing after a while), but I happened to visit Japan a few weeks later,so we agreed to meet. Since we really had a connection, I decided to stay for a few months on a tourist visa, burning lots of savings. After that time we decided to keep our relationship long distance. It was very hard, but after two years of long distance, she was able to move to me. We are now married and looking to move to Japan within two years time.

With this short message I would like to show others that it is possible to A overcome the cultural barriers, and B that long distance is possible if you are fully committed to each other and have no doubt in your feelings for each other.

And perhaps most of all I would like to thank the people behind Japan-guide.com for being the platform where I have found my life partner, and of course for the amazing job you guys are doing to inform all of us about Japan in such detailed ways.

This site will forever have a very special place in my heart.

Ben
by Benson (guest)  

Re: I met my wife here 2014/10/24 04:11
Very inspiring story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
by CD20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/10/26 17:35
Hi,

I have same feeling as you do. I met my Japanese husband on this site too. Happy to be with my soulmate
by Nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/10/28 13:42
I think it's nice that some people on here have been able to beat the odds. Here's my question though.

If you are just meeting someone that is LD, what happens if neither of you has any desire to leave their home country? I think it's nice that you or your partner has decided to relocate to you.

However, at what point do you start thinking of that?

I've known someone I met online and we are meeting soon. I am very nervous and so is he. I should add, he is not from Japan but we are going there to meet.

I could never leave my country and his career is too lucrative to leave his. We are meeting because we want to know if the connection we share is real, it certainly feels like it after texting and talking for a few months. But I have been bogged down by my family and friends who say that if I have no intention of moving to his country, what am I doing? I am risking getting my heart broken and we'll only be able to spend time together a few times a year if that.

I guess what I am saying is, if we don't meet we'll always wonder what ifs. But what happens if we meet and we hit it off? We are then setting ourselves for eventual heartache.

There is a part of me that thinks it's too early to worry about the future, what do you pros think?
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/10/29 04:42
I believe it will be very hard to develop your relationship if both of you have life in your own country as a priority. In my personal case I would love to move to Japan, and my wife had a family as a priority over her last job in Japan. Also we had visited eachother twice a year in those two years, so we knew what we were getting into. If neither of you wants to move to the other, then I don't know what to advise you, other than to make a clear choice for something.

Good luck!
by Benson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/10/29 11:36
At the beginning it was fun, but we both knew that being at opposite ends of the globe would be a problem eventually.

I have tried to break away a few times but it's always so hard because I have feelings for him. Still, I'm a bit worried about our trip.

Seeing someone twice a year is something that is very hard to do. We talk everyday and while I don't have time for a full time relationship, I don't know if I can afford to travel back and forth to see each other.

Re: I met my wife here 2014/11/3 15:42
Congrats!
by gsdubs rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/11/3 18:30
Just to add that 13 and a half year ago, I met my wife on this site too
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/11/5 14:40
Did either of you have a plan to relocate to where the other lived?

Re: I met my wife here 2014/11/7 00:45
congrtz broo...
by Athar rate this post as useful

Re: I met my wife here 2014/11/7 13:06
Really glad to see so many couples met here and their relationships actually going somewhere. I met my boyfriend here too, he's a japanese, and we met last month in Japan.
I have been interested in Japan since teenager and I took japanese language major in college, so language isn't a problem for us.
I'm hoping that we can break the distance barrier and we don't end up breaking each other's heart. My faith just got stronger by reading this post. Thank you!
by HeyVinny rate this post as useful

reply to this thread