Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/23 10:22
Hello, I wanted to know if I could make it to Tokyo University in the future.

I am 16 years old and I made all A's and B's in highschool so far, I attended a science fair in highschool, I also attended the google science fair, I do coding on games and websites, I am have been learning japanese since I was 14 years old, Do I have a chance of going to Tokyo University when I am 18 years old, I want to major in game development. Thank you for feedback.
by Kisukeyo  

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/23 14:15
Tokyo University and other famous governmental universities are academic and research universities. there is no course for game development.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/23 14:22
Go to a senmon gakkou or vocational college for games/animation related courses.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/23 22:20
As others mentioned, no game development at Todai.

Furthermore, you were out of consideration when you mentioned getting B grades.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 03:45
Could I study for software engineering? and I can't believe just for getting B's in highschool means I can't go. I mean I do have alot of A's and some B's, my GPA might be 4.0 by then because now it's 3.8
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 04:15
Have you actually done some research by yourself? Because I googled and came across this:

http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/lab.html
http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/admissions-and-programs/graduate-and-resea...

Also, unless you are made of money how are you going to finance attending Todai?

Enrollment fee is \282,000, annual fee for undergrads/grads: \535,800

I assume you will want a scholarship? And I also assume that there are going to be enough people with straight A's who are in need of scholarships.

Anyways, seems like Todai only offers graduate studies.

Maybe don't fixate on Tokyo University and look at universities which actually offer courses you want to study, maybe something like this:
https://www.hal.ac.jp/english/
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 04:31
I did do reasearch, and I found out that Todai is the best place in Japan for techology. As for the money, I was planning to use a study abroad program, a scholarship would be nice as well, that's why I listed all the things I did up top. As you know I do alot of things outside of just going to highschool, so I am confident in that. I need to say close to tokyo, I don't want to go to kyoto if I don't need to.

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 04:51
Technology is not the same as game development. Scholarships? Have you paid into the Japanese Tax system? If you haven't, it'll be hard to get one.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 04:57
So your saying paying in the japanese tax system will get me a scholarship?

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 05:24
Well, have you seen this then (for Todai):

Q2. Other than the student exchange program, are there any "study abroad programs" or "visiting student programs" for students enrolled at foreign universities?

A. We are sorry to tell you that currently there are no such programs at UTokyo. If you have graduated from a university or are expected to do so, some graduate schools may accept foreign students as research students.

Please refer to the website of faculties or graduate schools you are interested in from the lists on the website. If you have any question, please contact them directly.

Soo, better search for another uni or attend Yale or Princeton which are Todai's partner universities.

Scholarships for international students, JASSO and some private study abroad progam scholarships exist afaik. Mext is for research students?
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 07:25
If you're talking about study abroad (1 semester or 1 year), your grades don't matter, as a student of xwy partner university in the US/UK/Germany,Australia,whatever, then you are entitled to study abroad at your university's Japanese partner institution.

If you're talking about your full degree, then either you need to enter a program which will accept your foreign grades (e.g. a G30 program - no computer engineering / software development), or you need to take the EJU, and score highly. In this case, you'll need to be able to speak, read and write Japanese at very high levels. To enter Todai, you'll have to be in the top 0.x% of students. Todai admissions are probably on a par with Harvard admissions.

If you take the study abroad option, you can use your loans, Pell grants, etc, from home. If you want to study your whole degree, those options aren't available. There are some limited number of scholarships, but you can't rely on them, and you should to prepared to pay for yourself.

The G30 program is set up for someone like you, and is more cost effective. However, no game development - as others pointed out, that's the remit of technical training colleges in Japan
http://www.uni.international.mext.go.jp/
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 07:40
For those who responded: please consider his preferred major.

For CS majors (pretty much the undergrad towards game dev majoring) here is a site for seeing world rankings.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-...

Also, when you say you want to major in "game development," keep in mind that your supposed major will only be fraction of what's considered if you apply for a game design position.

University has already lost its place as a vocational place of study, since the advent of the internet, so now it's more of a place to meet like-minded people, what some would call "networking." It lands you into the upper echelon for whatever industry you would like, provided you befriend the right people.
Liberal arts colleges are estimated to die off in the coming decades.

We are entering the modern day and universities/colleges are simply becoming a formality for whatever you want to do. Especially Japanese universities, where many complain that it's just hard to get in, but easy once you're in.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/24 23:38
I will major in softeware development so it covers more than just games.

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/25 08:14
A simple (no-brainer)test"
Can you make it to MIT or Harvard?
If you can't, forget Todai.

by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I make it to Tokyo University? 2014/10/25 08:19
I see.

reply to this thread