Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with road trip from Tokyo 2014/10/23 17:25
Hi there,

My wife and I are reaching Tokyo on 9th Nov (Sun) and leaving on 18th Nov (Tues) – total 9 nights.

We are planning on going on a road trip around Tokyo for 4-5 nights, and currently have come up with this:

9th Nov Tokyo

10th Nov Tokyo-Kawaguchiko (See the lake, caves) and stay 1 night

11th Nov Kawaguchiko-Matsumoto (Visit Hakushu distillery on the way, Matsumoto castle, Wasabi farm) and stay 1 night either in Matsumoto / Nagoya (seems like easier to find place in Nagoya with more options available)

For the next 2-3 nights, we are considering some of these places:
- Shirakawa-go and stay 1 night?
- Karuizawa
- Gunma / Nikko for onsen
- Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route – saw amazing photos on this, but I understand that we will have to leave our car behind. Also not too sure if the weather is ideal during mid Nov to visit here
- Any other suggestions / must see?

15 or 16th – 18th Nov Tokyo

Was hoping if anyone could give us some advice on the following:
1. Is the above itinerary feasible for a road trip? Is there anywhere else that we should be considering instead?
2. What is the estimated cost for car rental / road tolls?
3. Based on the prelim itinerary, where would be the best place to pick up and drop off the car
4. Would the roads be icy or difficult to drive in mid Nov?
5. Any other useful tips is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much for all your help!!!
by hanula99 (guest)  

Re: Help with road trip from Tokyo 2014/10/23 18:35
Karuizawa has onsen too. Considering you are already having much city/traditional experience it might be good to go to a resort town.

Shirakawago is nice to visit. If you are an architectural lover, then waking up on a farm (used to be farm house) could be for you. The sunrise too is amazing. But if you have seen your fair share of light rays over snow capped peaks, then this isn't anything spectacular. If not, spending 2 to 3 hours here is sufficient.

I would rather go to Nagano for the onsen. Ringo (Apple) onsen.

Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route: Really depends on whether you have the time/stamina to do this.

As always, I would recommend Kanazawa. Culture/Tradition/Nice people/Shopping/Good Food
I'm saying this with the knowledge that Japan/Japanese has plenty shopping, good people nad nice people. Kanazawa is even better then most cities!

1. Is the above itinerary feasible for a road trip? Is there anywhere else that we should be considering instead?

Like most countries driving is convenient. Especially when heading to areas without shinkansen/train access.
Also like most countries driving around major cities like Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Yokohama is a joy killer. Fun to see the lights. Not fun to get caught in traffic. Nagoya is strangely car friendly.

But all in all, it is feasible. If you do Tokyo etc without the car. Return the car and change to public transport.

2. What is the estimated cost for car rental / road tolls?

about 40-60k yen per day.
Road tolls, I can't help.

3. Based on the prelim itinerary, where would be the best place to pick up and drop off the car

I would recommend starting from Matsumoto. (Cycle Kawaguchiko and train Matsumoto)

However, if you want to see the country as you drive towards Kawaguchiko, then start from Tokyo.

End in Tokyo too.
Limit Tokyo driving.

4. Would the roads be icy or difficult to drive in mid Nov?

Mostly no.
Shirakawago and other mountainous region may have snow here and there. But the highways (toll roads) are well kept. As Shirakawago is a well known tourist attraction (being UNESCO + Japanese love for tradition), the minor roads around the city are fine too. [At least it was when I went in January]

5. Any other useful tips is greatly appreciated :)

Maybe Biwako? Does Omi Beef nearby and Omi Jingu.
As said, Kanazawa. The whole area around Kanazawa is onsen land. Fukui onsen and more. Noto peninsular a three hours slow is pretty country.
Toyama is known for fresh sashimi and glowing fishes. They glow blue.

If you can forgo the Tateyama-Alpine route, why not go for the Japan romantic road.
Mountains + local cuisine + home grown vegetables + onsen
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread