Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/24 10:41
Hello

We were wondering if it's worth it to do the Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November. We found an information on their website that it might be only possible to start and return to Omochi. Looks like we would spent the whole day on train etc. But no chance for hiking. And I suppose that there won't be the snow corridor at this time of year, correct?
The route looks very interesting, but since we are living in Switzerland we were wondering if it's worth it? It's quite a lot of money. BTW we have three weeks in Japan.

Many thanks for your comments
Tinka
by Tinka2006  

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/24 23:00
Hi Tinka
I'be been to the Alps back in mid October2012.
You are right, during this time there wont be snow corridor as the temp isnt cold enough to have snow piling up high.
You can start the Alp from the Tateyama(Toyama) side or the Omachi side.
http://www.alpen-route.com/en/transportation . Back then I started from Omachi side. I set base in Kanazawa, so i leave all my big stuff there at guesthouse and only bring a 1night worth of stuff and stayed the night in Hakuba guesthouse. I started the alps the next morning from Omachi side, spent whole day on the alps, and by evening i get to Toyama and head back Kanazawa.
During that time the foot of the alps had autumn foliage and the summit is 0C with snow.
I never been to Switzerland so i cant compare ;__;
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/24 23:12
I have been over the Alpen Route and I've been to Switzerland several times. I think you will find the Japan Alps disappointing if you've been to Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Trummelbach Falls, etc.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 12:58
I think you will find the Japan Alps disappointing if you've been to Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Trummelbach Falls, etc.

The Swiss and Japan Alps are completely different mountains. I am Swiss and I find the Japan Alps absolutely amazing because they are living, smoking, producing onsen, and look amazingly beautiful and different from the "dead" Swiss Alps. The Japanese hospitality and food make for another difference.

The Alpen Route is great for those who wish to see the scenery without much effort, but it is not the best destination who wish to see wild nature.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Alpine Route 2014/10/25 13:04
"...I am Swiss and I find the Japan Alps absolutely amazing because they are living, smoking, producing onsen, and look amazingly beautiful and different from the "dead" Swiss Alps."
Uji, we have an old saying; The grass is always greener in the other fellows yard. :)

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 13:52
I love the Swiss Alps, as well! In find them in no way less green. Just very different. Many Swiss people will be fascinated by the Japan Alps. Whether the Alpen Route is the best place to enjoy them, however, depends on the type of traveler.

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 17:41
OK thanks a lot for your input. We will think about it and see how the weather will turn out to be.
by Tinka2006 rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 17:43
Uji: which other places in the Japanese Alps would you recommend in mid November?
by Tinka2006 rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 17:59
What is it exactly that you wish to see or experience? The scenery? Hiking? Easy walking? Volcanic activity? Onsen? Something else? My recommendations will depend on it.

Generally, I love Kamikochi for its scenery and variety of both easy and demanding hiking opportunities. However, Kamikochi closes on November 15:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html

Generally, most higher elevation in the Alps will be covered by snow by mid November, limiting hiking opportunities.

Okuhida is another of my favorite destinations for their rustic onsen baths - open around the year. There is also a ropeway that takes you above into the snow covered elevations:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5940.html

Shirahone Onsen is a nice, small onsen town, but quite remote:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6042.html

The Alpine Route is great for those who do not want to walk a lot and for those who - besides mountain scenery - also enjoy human development in the mountains, such as dams and the tunnels and various modes of transportation that lead along the route. Unfortunately, in November, most of the hiking trails along the route are covered in snow.

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/25 22:40
Uji, I am planning to be there at Murodo on the 21st of November 2014. You mentioned that the hiking trails will be covered in snow. Does this mean that I will be pretty much limited to sitting in the hotel, enjoying the snow covered landscape?
by Xavier (guest) rate this post as useful

Alpine Route 2014/10/26 01:39
UJI: I used a metaphor. It has nothing to do with grass or green. It means if the house next to you is identical to yours, you still may think it is better. That's just human nature.
Some English sayings are hard for a non-native English speaker to understand. Sorry.

Re: Kurobe Alpine Route in mid November 2014/10/26 09:02
You mentioned that the hiking trails will be covered in snow. Does this mean that I will be pretty much limited to sitting in the hotel, enjoying the snow covered landscape?

Basically yes. In addition, you could walk to the other lodgings around Murodo, which have onsen baths open to non-staying guests. You need good shoes.

UJI: I used a metaphor.

I know the metaphor. I also used it as such.

reply to this thread