Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo to Takayama 2014/10/24 13:26
I will be traveling from Tokyo to Takayama and back in November. I'm having a hard time understanding the fares and seat fees. I will take the Shinkansen and the Hida Limited Express and would want reserved seats. Is there a price advantage for using a 7-day Japan Rail Pass or is it less expensive to simply buy the reserved seats?
by Hibye (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo to Takayama 2014/10/24 14:20
Having a Japan Rail Pass allows you to make seat reservations for free, so take that into account when comparing. Usually the Pass will pay off only if you are making a long-distance return trip like Tokyo-Osaka. Tokyo-Takayama probably won't make a 7-day Pass pay off. Not having a JR Pass would allow you to ride the faster Nozomi Shinkansen (not able to be used with the Pass), so maybe buying separate tickets will be best.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo to Takayama 2014/10/24 14:27
If I take the Nozumi can I be certain of getting a seat without a reserved seat? That seems to save a significant amount of money. Or do the non-reserved cars tend to be filled in November?
by Hibye (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread