Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 16:53
I am planning to travel to Kyushu for a hot spring trip in March next year.

There are several popular destinations within Kyushu, i.e. Beppu, Kurokawa onsen, Mountain Aso and Yufuin.

Since I had a bad reaction after exposing to the whitish sulphur-containing hot spring water years ago, I wish to find a location where the hot spring water does not contain sulphur. Does anyone know which destination is suitable for me?

Many thanks!
by KL (guest)  

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 18:36
There are a lot of spa without sulphur. I think only 10 or 20 percent spas include sulphur, it's my personal opinion. So you can find easily to ask ryokan if they have such spa. There are many good spa spots. Enjoy!
by everydaySunday rate this post as useful

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 18:54
I'm not aware of a source of info which surveys lots of springs and tells you easily what the water composition is, but most ryokan sites will have a page which lists the minerals found in its spring(s), so you can do a search ryokan-by-ryokan, although this might take a bit of time.

Otherwise, for example, Kurokawa has a hot ryokan association (website easily found), and they have a phone number/email address, so perhaps you could send a query to them.

Other popular onsen towns often also have either a tourist office or a ryokan association, so you might be able to do the same for the other places you list.

Hope that helps...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 18:55
Sorry - I meant to add that you will often find that one ryokan/one onsen town has more than one spring source, and that the water will be different from each spring source.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 22:38
Thank you for the information!

Yes, I did find a website listing all the ryokans in the Kurokawa Onsen region, and I have started to look into each ryokan by going to the hotel homepage, but it seems that all of the homepages are written in Japanese......

Perhaps what I can do is to Google translate my question into Japanese and have it sent to the ryokan and Google translate the reply......
by KL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/24 22:53
I frequent Yufuin onsen. The water is clear and has no sulfur smell. Also the ground water is not as high as other onsen places(i.e. Kusatsu).
My family will be staying again at Yawaraginosato Yadoya where there are 3 outdoor private time chartered baths(Kashikiri Roten, no extra charge)
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hot spring in Kyushu 2014/10/25 09:41
I also agree to select Yufuin.
Yufuin is top rank hot spring in Kyusyu.
Also there are many Ryokan with private bath.
http://yufuin.or.jp/global/index.php?easiestml_lang=en
http://hotspringjapan.weebly.com/other-area.html
by MilandaB (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread