Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beaches in Autumn/Fall 2014/10/25 01:09
I'm wondering if it's ok to visit beaches and swim in the sea in Japan during autumn/fall?

I live in Fukuoka Prefecture, and am considering visiting some beaches soon. The weather is still good enough, by my Northern European standards, but I've heard people don't really go to beaches outside of the summer in Japan, and that swimming can be dangerous. Do you think I will be ok?

Thanks
by fififi12  

Re: Beaches in Autumn/Fall 2014/10/25 17:37
Okinawa also bathing season ends in mid-October.
Fukuoka is not known, usually, because the jellyfish is generated in the second half of August, will end bathing season.
Because now the time has a low temperature but jellyfish might not, no one to swim in the sea at this time in Japan.
Surfers are many.
Europe of people might average body temperature is also affected the high one or more times than Japanese.
However, because it was swimming in the lake Norwegian traveler is of Hokkaido on TV in about January of this year, it might be possible if self-responsibility.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Beaches in Autumn/Fall 2014/10/26 01:33
You want fight local fisher man?
In fall best surf fishing season.
Don't make them angry.

And this is,too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current

Remember call 118(not 119).
http://www.tokyo-icc.jp/guide_eng/kinkyu/01.html
by Lian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beaches in Autumn/Fall 2014/10/26 10:22
In any season, it's totally fine to visit beaches to take a walk or to enjoy the view. I do it all the time.

But with nothing to hold back the wind, it can get EXTREMELY cold, and that's one of the main reasons you don't see too many people there as opposed to the overly crowded summers. There are ocean-view cafes and restaurants here and there for shelter though.

As for swimming, it's not advisable and very often prohibited. You might see a sign in Japanese. The current can get harsher, and there will be no life guards on duty, while until the end of August there are guards as well as emergency huts.

The surfers swim on their own risk. They wear wet suits and know the ocean more than anyone else. Don't expect yourself to be the same as them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when storms are coming or when an earthquake occurs, there will be Japanese announcements telling you to keep off the coast in order to prevent yourself from getting caught in tidal waves.

In any case, anyone who is familier with the seas know that it can be scarry sometimes as the current may suddenly change causing you to drift away even in the calmest beaches. Whatever the case, be sure you don't swim alone.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread