Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/28 22:12
I passed my Driving Test in the UK on October 1st of this year and I am travelling to Japan on the 21st of November.

For the first year of my stay I will use an International Drivers Permit.

But after that year has expired what is the likelihood of me being able to transfer the licence over?

I know I still won't have the needed 3 months of living in the UK with my driving licence but I am hoping there may be some leeway or luck to be had.

If there isn't, would that mean I have to take the whole driving theory and practical again but in Japanese?

Cheers.
by Aokhib (guest)  

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/29 10:44
But after that year has expired what is the likelihood of me being able to transfer the licence over?

Unfortunately there is zero chance to transfer your license over. They are extremely strict about the 3 month rule.

If there isn't, would that mean I have to take the whole driving theory and practical again but in Japanese?

You would have to go through the regular licensing process, which typically means a month+ of classes at a cost of around 100,000-300,000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/29 13:31
For the first one year that you will stay in Japan, Will you be going back to UK? perhaps for holidays etc?
Your stay in UK (even short trips) would be counted towards those 3 months. If all adds up to 3 months, you should have a chance.
by kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/29 20:00
NO.
3 months must be continous after you get your licence at your country.
they will check/scrutinize you passport and licence date. no leeway given.
by dameyo dame.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/30 02:53
Well, thank you for the responses.

After creating this thread I found that at least one person has been able to get their licence transferred over even though their 90 days weren't consecutive.

Whether or not that will be the case for me is another question.

Cheers again.
by Aokhib (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/30 10:49
After creating this thread I found that at least one person has been able to get their licence transferred over even though their 90 days weren't consecutive.

The above poster is probably confusing the time requirement for license conversion rule with the time requirement for IDP renewal. To convert your license you need to show that you have spent 90 days as a licensed driver in the country where your DL was issued. The 90 days can be nonconsecutive.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Acquiring a Japanese driving licence 2014/10/30 22:47
Ah, thank you!
by Aokhib (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread