Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/29 21:47
Im half filipino japanese . Im from philippines and i was gonna be in a 3rd year(philippine grading system(no k-12) but i stopped cause we thought that were going to japan already . I stopped studying for 2013-2014 - 2014-2015 school years. Im turning 16 this december 28 so im wondering if whats my year/grade in japan? Im still learning japanese so idk help me out? And is public school free?
by Mea28  

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 11:09
You will be 1st year student in High School Department. All students who was born between 2nd April 1998 and 1st April 1999 are in the 1st year in High School Department.

High School students may be given subsidies for their tuition fees up to 118,800 Yen depending on your parents income.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 11:51
What do you mean? Junior highschool? And do they depend on your age?
by Mea28 rate this post as useful

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 14:11
You will be in High School Senior Department.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 17:16
if you finished 9 years(not including Kindergarten) school successfully in Philippine, you will be qualified as a possible student of senior high school in Japan.
however, you say you stopped studying in your country. if this means you did not go to school for the recent 2 years, you have not finished 9 years school.
if so, you can't go to senior high school in Japan.
senior high school is not a compulsory education in Japan. if you want to enter senior high school, you are requested to pass the entrance examination or to show the certificate that you are currently going to senior high school (or an equivalent) in Philippine. (1st grade of senior high school in Japan is 10th school year. if you can show the certificate that you are now in the 10th school year in Philippine, you can be admitted to 1st grade of senior high school.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 17:54
I only finished 8 years cause in the philippines we have grade 6(elementary) and 4 years in highschool so i only finished the 2 years .. and thats my problem so what do you think will be year in japan?

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 19:31
I mean grade 1-6 . 6 years in elementary .
1st-4th year. 4 years in highschool .

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 19:35
In Japan, compulsory education ends when you graduate junior high school, normally at age 15.

Senior high school is optional, and you need to pass some kind of an entrance examination to enter a senior high school.

Typically, your age would fit into that of the first year of senior high school. However, whether you can enter one is a different story.

But there are many kinds of senior high schools and many ways to get in (properly). You and your parents should discuss that with your local board of education in Japan, the one that belongs to the district you plan to live in.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What grade or year am i in Japan 2014/10/30 20:17
the point is how many years, how long you had the school education.
since you did not have school education for 2 years, I think you can start 9th school year (3rd grade of junior high school) in Japan.
after one year, you can get a qualification to take entrance examination of senior high school.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread