Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I overweight in Japan 2014/10/29 22:40
I'm 5ft 2 inches and weigh 118- 120lbs and size 8(in England), I drink loads of water and quite muscular so I guess my weight can vary. I'm planning to go to Japan soon and have an eating disorder and losing weight pretty quickly. I just would like to know whether I will be classed as over weight in Japan? I heard that Japanese women have a different view on weight simply because they are smaller, I just would like to know if people will call me overweight.
by Sakura70107  

Re: Am I overweight in Japan 2014/10/30 11:45
Sorry, but wtf?? You have or planning on having an eating disorder??? That is a disgusting attitude to have and a huge insult to anyone who has had to deal with the traumatic scenario that it is. Weight loss achieved by eating disorders is very, very unhealthy and detrimental to the body. If you really think that's a good idea, you need a slap.
by ?! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Am I overweight in Japan 2014/10/30 11:46
People in Japan, like anywhere, come in all shapes and sizes, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just be happy being yourself.

Also, you'll probably stand out much more simply by being a foreigner, and people will be curious about that (in a good way).
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Am I overweight in Japan 2014/10/30 12:36
I'm 6ft and 280. I'm huge! I definitely stick out like a sore thumb. No one seems to mind and if they did, they'd never say a thing of show it.

One day I was in Tokyo Tower and there was this family with a young kid who was too scare to step on the see-through glass floor. I walked up to him, smiled, and started jumping up and down on the glass while I smiled at him. After that, I told him in my poor Japanese, that I am big and it's okay, the floor didn't break. The family smiled, laughed and bowed. Unfortunately, my attempt didn't dissuade the poor kid from overcoming the fear.

It doesn't matter what they think about you, really. Can I stand to lose 100 pounds, sure! But it's not going to dictate how I act there.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread