Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

22 Feb - 5 Mar 2015 Itinerary advice 2014/10/30 19:52
hi friends, here's what I have in mind so far, the booking of the guesthouses was really quite challenging as the ryokan we wanted was only available on 1st march.

Day 1: Monday - Osaka to Nagoya
- Side trip to Kiso Valley
Is the area ok during the Feb period?

Day 2 : Tuesday - explore Nagoya
-most places (such as Nagoya castle, and the science Museum) are closed on Monday,

Day 3 : Wednesday - Nagoya to Gero Onsen
- Is it worth the trip? Or should I go to Gujo?

Day 4 : Thursday - Gero Onsen to Takayama

Day 5 : Friday - explore Takayama

Day 6: Saturday -Takayama to Okuhida
- For the Shinhotaka Ropeway

Day 7 : Sunday - Okuhida to Takayama to Shirakawago

Day 8: Monday - Shirakawago to Kanazawa

Day 9: Tuesday - explore Kanazawa

Day 10: Wednesday - Kanazawa to Kyoto

Day 11: Thursday - Kyoto to OSAKA

I don't plan to get JR pass as it is really expensive and my trip is more than 7 days but less than 14 days. I do not want a rush trip and prefer to take time to explore each city/town.

Feel free to share your thoughts and include ideas on places that I should be seeing if it's not here for the winter season in Feb'15:))

Thank you:))
by Missyenny  

Re: 22 Feb - 5 Mar 2015 Itinerary advice 2014/10/31 12:12
Consider getting this: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

Not too sure about Winter, but I was in Gero this Summer, seems like a nice place though I ended up exploring the northern side/northeast side, across the Jomon bridge (If i remember right, about 10 storey tall bridge) behind the Jomon village where you can trek up some mountain trail to one of the place where you can have a good view on the whole Gero. Overall, I feel Gero has enough things to do for a day, if you explore properly, the Gassho village is nice too.

Nagoya, if time permits, do consider Inumaru Castle as it is the original castle remaining (only 12 in Japan) while Nagoya is a concrete reconstruction. Did not go to Kiso valley due to a landslide at the train track while I was there, so no idea.

For Takayama, depending on what time you departing from Gero, you will have 2 days in Takayama, which to me, is too much time. My personal view on Takayama is, it is a tourist resort town.

Not sure what your intention to go Kyoto and Osaka, but you probably will not have enough time at any of the two towns.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: 22 Feb - 5 Mar 2015 Itinerary advice 2014/10/31 12:28
Thank you vinces7 for sharing about Gero Onsen area and for introducing me to the Pass- I believe the Takaya-Hokuriku Area Pass would be really good for cost-savings.
by Missyenny rate this post as useful

Re: 22 Feb - 5 Mar 2015 Itinerary advice 2014/10/31 12:55
Always remember to grab the map when you arrive at new JR station, they normally have visitor counter with maps, they are very useful.

If you do intend to trek up the trail behind the Jomon village, make sure you bring water with you. The bridge itself is quite spectacular, assuming you do not have acrophobia..
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/230760/spot/500514/
http://yakei.jp/japan/spot.php?i=jyomon
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread