Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 01:14
I live in Japan and I know the laguage very one but there is only one thing, I still can't get the Japanese accent. Whenever I speak to someone new in japanese, they always speak back to me in english so I ask them why are they speaking english, they say they know because my Japanese accent wasn't there all the way not the way I look. This means my accent is not all that japanese, does someone have another solution to my problem.
by Jason Hammer (guest)  

Re: How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 12:59
Record yourself speaking and play it back; perhaps you'll see where the problem is and can try harder to improve it.
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 17:37
It's actually difficult for an adult to learn any foreign language well enough to speak it without any accent whatsoever. The same goes for Japanese adults trying to learn English.

Meanwhile, just because a Japanese person speaks back to you in English, that doesn't mean that your accent is bad or what not. Most Japanese people tend to think that they should communicate in the other party's language as a courtesy, so once they notice that Japanese is not your native language, they switch to English just like that.

If you want people to speak to you in Japanese, you should focus more on expressions and communication. For example, Dave Spector is full of American accent, but no one speaks to him in English, because his Japanese is so "localised."

Tell Japanese puns. Master the boke and tsukkomi. Watch out for wrong usage of -ne. Learn proper keigo and use them appropriately. And most of all, promote the fact that you want to avoid English, because people don't even know that.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 23:08
hi

It's so difficult to speak and talk in Japanese. Even Japanese, can't understand its mean and accent. so, if you care accent, should talk talk and talk in Japanese. for example, with your friend via this site.

sorry, my english is so bad.

by stardust0802 rate this post as useful

Re: How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 23:34
I think listening to native speakers and parroting back as well as you can is really helpful... when I was first learning Japanese I loved listening to Japanese music, and I think it helped my accent a lot. Japanese music, audio books, videos of subjects you're interested in, etc. may help, and they certainly don't hurt!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: How to have a good Japanese accent 2014/10/31 23:44
I see, I do need to learn more japanese expressions.
by Jason Hammer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread