Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 02:14
Hi all,

Im planning a trip to japan in feb 2015.
At the moment, i have a basic idea of what my route will be:

Tokyo - Nagoya - Takayama - Shirakawago - Sapparo - Niseko - Tokyo

I cant seem to figure out the best transport for the routes be it shinkansen or taking a flight.

question:

1) should i buy a JR pass and isit worth it?

2) isit better to fly from tokyo to nagoya or shinkansen?

3) isit better to fly from nagoya to sapporo?

thank you for your replies
by KK (guest)  

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 13:14
I recommend the following transportation:

Tokyo - (shinkansen) - Nagoya - (train) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus, bus and air via Komatsu Airport) - Sapparo - (bus) - Niseko - (bus and air via Chitose Airport) - Tokyo

1) should i buy a JR pass and isit worth it?

If you were to do everything by train, a pass would likely pay off, but the train trips are very long. If you fly, then a rail pass will not pay off. For the Komatsu-Sapporo flight, I recommend looking into the various air passes available for foreign tourists:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

As for Sapporo-Tokyo, it is the world's busiest route, and many discount offers are available:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 13:25
Hi uji thank you for your reply.

What if I add nagano (snow monkeys) into my trip? I can take out nagoya as that was in my itinerary just because it's a hub I have to travel pass.

I'm going for 12 days flying into Tokyo and out from Tokyo. Places I really Want to visit : shirakawago , takayama, nagano (snow monkeys), sapparo, niseko and of course Tokyo.

Is it still worth it to get jr pass?
Whats the best route for me now ?

Thank you for your reply!
by kk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 13:32
Transportation between the snow monkeys and Takayama is very time-consuming, especially before March 14 when the extended shinkansen line would speed up travel times. But, of course, it is possible. You could travel as follows:

Tokyo - (shinkansen and bus) - Snow Monkeys- (bus and trains via Nagano, Naoetsu and Toyama) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus, bus and air via Komatsu Airport) - Sapparo - (bus) - Niseko - (bus and air via Chitose Airport) - Tokyo

Alternatively, you could travel as follows:
Tokyo - (shinkansen and bus) - Snow Monkeys - (bus) - Nagano - (train) - Matsumoto - (bus) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus, bus and air via Komatsu Airport) - Sapparo - (bus) - Niseko - (bus and air via Chitose Airport) - Tokyo

Be warned that heavy snow along the Sea of Japan coast does not rarely affect transportation there.

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 13:41
Hi uji. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Seeing as there's lots of train rides, shinkansen and bus rides involved,
is it worth it to get the Jr pass?
Does it cover all the rides involved?
I'm thinking if the 7 days is enough as after I reach sapporo and tokyo, I can just get individual tickets which will c probably cost lesser than if I get a 14 day pass.

Also, for your first recommended route, did u mean there is a shinkansen that goes straight to snow monkeys? If so would I be able to by pass nagano altogether? So from Tokyo straight to snow monkeys then out to takayama straight ? So as not to waste time in nagano.

I'm thinking your first route looks like a better idea?

Thank you

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 14:29
Seeing as there's lots of train rides, shinkansen and bus rides involved,
is it worth it to get the Jr pass?

Depends, as explained in my first response.

Does it cover all the rides involved?

No.

Also, for your first recommended route, did u mean there is a shinkansen that goes straight to snow monkeys?

No. You have to change to a bus at Nagano.

Transportation between the snow monkeys and Takayama is challenging. Make sure to prepare well in advance.

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 15:05
Hi uni,

Will matsumoto airport be a better choice than komatsu airport to fly to sapporo?

That is assuming from Shirakawago and head to sapporo.

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/1 15:18
Will matsumoto airport be a better choice than komatsu airport to fly to sapporo?

No. Komatsu is most easily accessed (note that the Sapporo flight currently departs at 8am). Toyama is also somewhat close. Toyama has a departure at 14:20.

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/2 18:39
Hi uji

I can't seem to find any buses that I can take from takayama to komatsu?

Do u happen to know where I can buy the tickets or get some information about it? The nohi bus doesn't go this route right ?

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/2 18:53

Re: Travel itinerary advice please 2014/11/2 18:54
Is toyama a better choice since I have to travel pass toyama anyway?

reply to this thread