Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/1 19:13
Can foreigners book from Japanese Rakuten Travel?

Because their Japanese website has better accommodation offers than the English website.

Anyone has done it before?
by fujisaku  

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 09:10
Yes, I am a foreigner and I use it almost exclusively.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 18:52
What about the required Japanese address field?

It is required and can only be filled with Japanese prefecture... I don't have Japanese address.

Btw, do you speak Japanese? I'm afraid the hotel will only accept guest who can speak Japanese...
by fujisaku rate this post as useful

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 18:55
What about the required Japanese address field?

I live in Japan, so it is not a problem. If you don't live in Japan, you may not be able to use it, I am afraid.

I'm afraid the hotel will only accept guest who can speak Japanese...

That risk is very low. But if you cannot speak Japanese, I recommend not to use a Japanese reservation website due to the risk of misunderstanding the system. There are many other ways to make reservations for a hotel in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 19:16
A Japanese address is not required, the only quirk, which is probably purely technical, is that the address field must be filled with full-width characters; I just enter my home address in full-width romaji.

If there is a problem with your reservation, you can contact Rakuten in English at the address given on the English site.

And of course the hotel will be notified of your reservation; I suppose that if they don't accept foreigners, Rakuten will contact you to let you know, but that's unlikely. Not speaking Japanese will be no more of a problem than anywhere else in Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 19:21
And about the prefecture firld, I'm pretty sure ŠCŠO is an option,

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 19:30
Is this for travel package or just hotel, I've booked 6 days hotel stay on split days last week for a trip in june using rakuten it is even cheaper than hotels.com or booking .com, the good thing is, no credit card is required to reserve a room, and you pay direct to the hotel on arrival.

btw I'm booking it from Hong Kong using English.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 19:52
The question is about the Japanese website, which does have better offers than the English one (some properties which are listed on the Japanese site are even completely absent from the English one).

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:15
during my booking I have checked both the japanese version and english version, the cost were identical.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:37
I just took one hotel at random, Hotel Grand Mer in Ajigasawa, Aomori. Check in January 6 2015, two nights, one adult. Best price on the Japanese site, 14,472 yen (tax included). On the English one, 16,632.

Yes, that's because the plan for 16,632 yen includes breakfast, while the plan for 14,472 yen doesn't. Yes, the breakfast-included plan also costs 16,632 yen on the Japanese site, but the point is that for those who prefer to eat breakfast on their own, the cheaper plan is not offered at all on the English site.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:41
I won't say every thing is same, but at least my hotel booking is the same, you can check the detail, this is the name of the hotel I have booked.

ƒzƒeƒ‹ŠÛ’Ju‚`‚m‚m‚d‚w] at 6650 yen inclusive of tax.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:44
sorry the date is 9th june 2015 1 adult, there are other dates, they are all the same.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:44
I don't doubt that the prices were the same for you, but if OP is asking the question, it's probably because he found something similar to what I describe above. Presumably, Rakuten doesn't include on the English website the options they think will not be popular with foreign travelers (which is poor business sense IMO).

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 20:50
I understand and agree what you are saying, i'm just commenting on my experience with this site.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/2 23:45
The price is usually the same.

But ryokans usually offer different accommodation plans/meal plans and the Japanese Rakuten usually offers more choice than the International website.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/3 00:01
Btw, what about the postal code?
It says my postal code is invalid

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/3 00:09
The site asked for a post code from me, as hong kong does not use post code I just entered 888888, and it works fine.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/3 00:11
IIRC, I just entered 000-0000. (It seems I can't access the information I entered, so I don't know for sure.) in any case, don't worry too much about this stuff, your name is probably the only thing that really matters.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/3 00:20
I think without the postal code, you cannot complete the reservation.

Re: Rakuten Travel in Japanese 2014/11/3 10:00
Yes, what I meant is that you can enter a bogus one and it doesn't really matter.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread