Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Takachiho-no-mine hike ok for children? 2014/11/3 19:49
Hi all,

1) Is it common for children to hike to Takachiho-no-mine? I have a 12 and 10 yr old.

2) How about the Karakuni-dake trail? Is is ok for children?

P.S. I know about the Rokkannonmi Pond. But it seems likely to be closed.

THANKS!
by fatherhen  

Re: Is Takachiho-no-mine hike ok for children? 2014/11/4 06:42
1) Is it common for children to hike to Takachiho-no-mine? I have a 12 and 10 yr old.

I have seen entire school classes hike the mountain. But I am bad at estimating their age. They were probably a little older than 12 years. In any case, the hike is quite challenging. It is strenuous because of steep and unstable terrain. If your kids are in good shape and experienced mountain hikers, then it will be no problem, but if they are not, it is not a recommended mountain.

2) How about the Karakuni-dake trail? Is is ok for children?

The trail from Ebino Kogen is currently closed due to volcanic activity. Only the trail via Lake Onami is open. I haven't hiked the trail via Lake Onami. But generally speaking, Karakunidake is of the same difficulty level as Takachihonomine, although the terrain is harder and somewhat easier to walk. Again, I only recommend to bring a 10 year old if (s)he is in good shape and has been on other somewhat challenging hikes before.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is Takachiho-no-mine hike ok for children? 2014/11/5 09:19
Thanks Uji-san.

I guess I will give it shot. My children are fitter than I am. But if it looks too dangerous we will simply abort the hike.
by fatherhen rate this post as useful

Re: Is Takachiho-no-mine hike ok for children? 2014/12/5 13:28
Hi all,

In the end, we did the hike to Karakunidake, starting from the trailhead just below Ebino Kogen. The same trail could lead to Onami Lake but we didn't go there. The round trip took us 5 hours. And wife's legs were sore for the next 7 days. Haha. It is definitely the most challenging hike we have done so far.

See my blog if you're interested
https://fatherhen.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/kyushu-day-4-1130-kirishima...
by fatherhen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread