Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/17 02:00
Sounds like the Tuna auction is closed from Dec 1, 2014 to Jan 31, 2015 due to peak season. Is it still recommended to arrive early (by 5am) to see the rest of the market? Or can you just walk in freely without arriving at 5am?

I'm just trying to understand the implications of the closing.

Thanks
by jay (guest)  

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/17 22:55
You could just turn up for lunch and it would be fine :)
by Kathryn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/17 23:06
Thank you. I'll definitely still go. Just wondering really what that one line means about the tuna auction not available those days versus the rest of the experience in the morning without the tuna auction.
by jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/18 01:40
the inner market, where most of the seafood vendors are, is closed on select wednesdays so check the market calendar before you go.
by kolohe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/18 08:13
Is it still recommended to arrive early (by 5am) to see the rest of the market? Or can you just walk in freely without arriving at 5am?

The wholesale area is closed to the general public until 9am, so in my opinion it makes no sense to arrive before 9am. The basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

The tuna auction is held in a small area and - for some reason - fascinates a lot of tourists. Others - including myself - don't understand what is so special about a few dozen frozen tuna lying on the floor and some people participating in an auction to purchase them. Especially if you have to line up at 3am to maybe be able to see it three hours later.

The market overall is fascinating, especially the wholesale area, but I personally don't like entering the wholesale area because I feel that tourists bother the people working there. I find the outer market interesting enough, especially in combination with a breakfast or lunch.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/18 10:12
The reason why it is so popular could be because it is listed in this site as an attraction.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/18 12:20
We love Tsukiji market, and have been 3 times now.
We usually arrive around 9.30am, (after train rush hour, among other reasons) and actually do go into the wholesale and outer markets.
I agree with Uji: we are very careful to avoid interrupting the flow of any activities in the wholesale market: keeping well out of the way of the moving vehicles, and not crowding around stalls when a transaction is taking place. But by then, it is usually not too hectic with people buying stuff.
However, as an Aussie, the variety of fish in that market is extraordinary: sometimes riveting. Watching the ice being saved is a fun few minutes too!
We always ask before taking any photos, as well.
And then we head to the outer market, usually making some purchases, (there is great inexpensive pottery for gifts, and a wonderful knife shop) and then find a sushi restaurant with little or no queue: and have brunch.
The idea in the restaurants is to not dally too long: eat, and go: there will be a queue outside.....
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/19 20:20
Absolutely agree with AusTF. We have been to the markets many times and it is a highlight. We have also got up at 3 am and visited the tuna market. Really was an anti-climax and I suspect the thrill of going has more to do with the limited numbers available than the experience when your there.
by Broulee rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/19 21:10
IMHO, the really great thing you get to see by going into the market proper is seeing the guys cutting up whole tuna.

Arguably, this can be better seen on Youtube.

The tuna auction itself is a whirl of activity that is unintelligible to the general public. You can also see this on Youtube.

The sushi restaurants around the market offer great fresh fish, but the queues can be phenomenal. If you're visiting any other cities with a fish market, you'll probably find fish that's just as fresh, at cheaper prices, and with no queues, (Omicho market in Kanazawa, for instance).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji market worth it without tuna auction? 2014/11/20 08:43
It is worth it if u never been there. I was at the fish market in september without going to the tuna auction. I enjoyed walking around the outer market very muxh
by japan go (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread