Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beggar monks in Japan 2014/11/17 02:21
Hi,
Several times during my journey through Japan I came across monks standing outside trainstations and other places holding a beggar bowl.

I wish I could have contributed to the monk but I am not sure what to give and how much in that case, and if it would even be appropriate of me as a foreigner to do so.
by Monkm (guest)  

Re: Beggar monks in Japan 2014/11/17 12:32
What ever you wanted to give would have been fine and it wouldn't have been weird for a foreigner to do so.

I've passed by some people asking for donations towards animals shelters a few times during my travels and if I have a few dollars to give, then I usually donate.

Most of the time the people say a gracious thank you, hand me some flyers for their shelters, then continue on with their business. I've yet to get a weird look for donating.

However, I should warn you that I have heard cases of fake monks begging for money. If you're traveling with someone who knows the area well, ask them their opinion on what they think. I actually always do this before I donate to make sure my money is going to help and not be taken advantage of.
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: Beggar monks in Japan 2014/11/17 14:18
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Beggar monks in Japan 2014/11/17 15:35
The rule of thumb is: if the monk is standing there with his bowl, he's genuine, if the monk approaches you and tries to sell you a cheap charm for way too much money, he's a fake.

Just put a 10 or 50 yen piece in the bowl and you'll receive a blessing.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beggar monks in Japan 2014/11/17 17:53
Alrighty. Thank you for all your advises and knowledge, I will know how to act next time.

About approaching monks I remember when sitting down in Harajuku off the tourist/shopping street a monk approached me with a note and wanted me to have a thin golden "coin" for blessing, showing me a donation list. Felt a bit rude to say that "these people donated this much, please, please".

When he realised I would not give him that much he took the coin and left. Quite scary moment but I have seen worse acts in other countries.
by Monkm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread