Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/17 20:23
Day 1:
Take Bus to Kinkakuji then another Bus to Ninnaji
I will then take the Keifuku to Arishayama

Day 2:
Visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine and Tofukuji Temple (Early Morning?)

Ginkakuji Temple/Philosophers Path/Kodaiji Temple/Yasaka Shrine

Gion/Pontoccho (Late Afternoon and DInner)

Kiyomizudera Temple (At Night)

Is Day 2 too packed? Can I move any places from Day 2 to Day 1.

Thanks!
by swwong (guest)  

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 08:21
It is very busy, especially day 2. Day 1 is not too bad, although it depends on how early you start the day and on how much you want to see in Arashiyama. But day 2 would be too much for a majority of travelers except the ones preferring a very fast pace.

Depending on how much you want to see in Arashiyama (an entire day can be spent there alone), you may have time to add something else there, although nothing of day 1 is nearby and easily combined.

Note also that on weekends during the autumn color season you may encounter waiting times at Tofukuji.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 09:11
thanks.
What can I skip/miss out on day 2??

by Swwong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 10:04
I would say to skip Gion/Potoncho.

Since you are already heading to Kiyomizudera and Arashiyama, you might want to tone down on the old streets.

Or you could strike off Kiyomizudera since it is a pretty long walk from anywhere. Uphill too. But the ascend has many small temples and shops, especially if you walk in from Yasaka Shrine and not take a bus.

Or you could strike off Fushimi Inari, as my favorite point in Kyoto I normally wouldn't advise this but since it is not along the way like Kiyomizudera it might be a good idea. That said, it isn't that much of a hassle as the station is nearby and there is little walking involved.

If I were you, I would start day 1 early and start with Tokufuji and Fushimi Inari. After which Golden + Temple. Lesiurely end the day with tea and dinner at Arashiyama. Supper at Kyoto city station. (Or maybe Gion, if your hotel is nearby.)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 12:34
Day 2 to me is too busy: and exhausting.
Currently, Kiyomizudera has some renovations happening.
There are other temples lit up at night that are beautiful: we love Kodiaji, with its Bamboo grove.
SO: I would skip Kiyomizudera, if you are only going there for light up.
And, what time of year are you going? Tofukuji is an autumn colour place, so unless you are there now, that too could maybe be skipped.
The Philosophers Path is stunning in Cherry Blossoms, and would be nice and green in summer, but not wonderful for autumn colour or when no foliage at all.
SO it depends on the season:
Gion/Pontoncho early evening are beautiful, and after eating you could then make your way up through the Yasaka Shrine to Kodiaji, or to Chionin/Shorenin: both of those are wonderful.
Good luck!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 13:45
To make an easier day 1, from Kyoto station take the JR San-in line to Saga Arashiyama, then Keifuku (nickname Randen) to Omuro Ninnaj and Kinkaku-ji. Then you can do Gion and Pontocho for dinner.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/18 22:38
Thanks all for your suggestions. I will be visting from December 1st to 2nd.

Day 1 - JR to Arishayama then Randen from Arishayama to Ninnaji Station to visit both Ninnaji and KikakuJi. AFter that, go to Gion/Potoncho for dinner and visit Kodaiji (for lighting) and Yasaka.

I am staying near the JR Kyoto station, what will be the best way from Kodaiji/Yasaka back to the hotel at night.

Day 2 - Visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine and Tofukuji Temple then
Ginkakuji Temple/Philosophers Path/Old Streets

**I decided to cut out Kiyomizudera

Thanks All!

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/19 04:16
From Yasaka Shrine, go out the main entrance, turn left and take a #100 bus.
From Kodaiji or Yasaka Pagoda, walk down to the main street, turn left to the Kiyomizu Michi bus stop and take a #100 bus back to Kyoto station.

You do not want to miss Kiyomizu. See it instead of Tofukuji. From Fushimi-Inari take the Keihan railway to Kiyomizu Gojo, then walk up the hill to Kiyomizu.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/19 06:01
I don't think day 2 is too busy. If you don't spent too much time in the places you want to visit, you can do it. Just place them in a logic way. Here you can see one itinerary I've made in one busy day in Kyoto:http://www.soleilrouge.org/kyoto-itineraire-d-une-journee-bien-remplie

Have a nice trip in Kyoto!
by fuchan29 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/19 21:03
I have visited Kiyomizu 2 years ago, so unless I am going at night, I have chosen to skip it.
Have anyone been to the autumn illumination? Both Kiyomizu and Kodaiji have this event?

Thanks.

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/20 06:41
Here is a website to see the dates of illumination of Kodai-ji temple:http://www.kodaiji.com/e_illumi.html

Kiyomizu dera nights opening are from 11/14 to 12/07.
by fuchan29 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Days Kyoto Trip 2014/11/24 20:36
From KikakuJi, what will be the best way for me to travel to Gio (the randen seems possible?)

Thanks

reply to this thread