Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/11/18 04:46
Hi all,

I will be staying in Sapporo, Tokyo, Osaka, Kokura, and even down in Beppu for February 2015.

That said should I buy winter/snow boots? (In another thread I am aware I can buy clip on cleats/spikes for walking in the city) Right now I just own a pair of walking shoes and jogging shoes.

For jackets, should I get a heavy duty snow jacket/down jacket?

In Sapporo I am attending the snow festival and might venture to Otaru as well (per user Diego's recommendation and Japan Guide research)! After the snow festival I will fly south to Beppu then slowly make my way back to Tokyo (stopping over at friends at various cities).

I'd like to work with layers, since I may be going indoors and outdoors frequently (and will want to take off/put on the layers quickly).

Thanks in advance for any tips!
by WongJP  

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/11/18 09:24
The problem with layering up in Japan is that inside temps feel like 30 Celsius, and that is inside taxis, trains, buses, shops, restaurants. So you essentially have to do a striptease everywhere you go (with limited space) and live with a pile of clothes next to you. I have it down to one very good jacket that goes past your bum (like Canada Goose), together with heavy jeans (cargo pants for me), hiking boots or Dr Martens with good socks, a beanie and gloves (cheap gloves from the convenience store are fine).

If you are still cold you can get plenty of stuff from uniqlo cheap.

That did me in Korea (minus 17 Celsius) although my face was leaking from my eyes and nose, probably my mouth too until I wrapped a scarf around it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/11/18 09:48
Thanks, Lazy Pious.

As I've traveled to Japan more than a handful of times before, I know exactly what you mean in regards to going from ice cold into a fire :) I appreciate the tips - I'm currently looking to get a good jacket and boots. Might look into pants as well. Currently I just have pairs of denim jeans and some thermals/long johns.
by WongJP rate this post as useful

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/11/18 10:28
Haha! Yes, denim isn't good at all for keeping you warm. When I was in Japan I sneered at my wife and kids for wearing long johns but in Korea at minus 10 plus I swallowed my pride and wore them. I bought my missus a Canada Goose jacket from amazon - it is awesome and looks pretty trendy too. I got my jacket from a ski outlet, it is more a big down filled coat. As long as your jacket zips up tight and air cant get in, it is pretty good.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/11/18 11:18
Understood. Those Canada Goose jackets cost more than my airfare to Japan - but I've got a few in mind from other retailers so that is good.

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/12/16 03:47
For roaming at the outdoor snow festivals (Sapporo, Otaru, possibly Asahikawa) - are jeans and thermals fine? Someone told me that cargo pants or snow pants were a bit overkill, but I'd like to know from others' experiences. Thank you in advance :)

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/12/16 07:45
Depending on the temperature and wind snowpants may be overkill, and I imagine most people would be fine with jeans and a warm jacket, however being over dressed would be preferable to under dressed! Don't forget to have a toque with you, your ears will most definitely get cold without one, and keeping your head warm key to keeping your body warm.

Have fun at the snow festival, I loved it in 2013, I'm hoping to make it back in 2016!
by Higgz rate this post as useful

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/12/16 07:47
Thanks, Higgz! I figured it would be cumbersome to wear also when going indoors and outdoors often in a day :P Definitely bringing a scarf and toque/beanie, and some thermals under the jeans :)

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/12/16 09:44
What I'm about to describe will probably strike many here as overkill (and I wouldn't take offence as it certainly seems that way!) but, having been reared in tropical climes, I tend to benefit from as much insulation as possible.

With that - and stressing again that you will likely need fewer layers than this - I ventured out into the winter cold with the following:

Head and neck: Scarf around the neck, trapper hat on the head with flaps for the ears and chin area. A balaclava for the face when things get really cold.

Upper body: Normal indoor clothes (undershirt and outer shirt), topped with a Uniqlo Heattech high-collar long-sleeved shirt, covered with an autumn jacket, and finished off with a North Face Triclimate jacket.

Hands: Two layers of gloves (liner gloves covered with thicker outer gloves).

Lower body: Long johns for warmth, with a pair of comfortable jeans on top.

Feet: Thermal socks (extra thick and extra long, going almost up to my knees so also offering some lower body protection), rugged hiking boots for the snow and ice.

Yeah, certainly looks like overkill for those more accustomed to lower temperatures than I am - you will probably need less than this. I did find, however, the upper body layering remarkably effective at dealing with the transition from freezing outdoors to overheated indoors. As the temperature rises, I doff the outer jacket; as it goes higher, I remove the autumn jacket (note that the Heattech shirt I wear underneath is not the undershirt-looking kind, but of a type that could pass for decent outerwear); if the room is extra hot I can then take off the Heattech shirt. At each stage, I still look more or less presentable (or at least good enough not to be kicked out of the restaurant).

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Winter clothes for February 2015 trip? 2014/12/16 09:48
Hehe, thanks Diego. It sounds close to what I planned on wearing also, so all experiences are noted and welcome!

reply to this thread