Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 06:31
Dear community,

with my recent flight booking to Tokyo came two free nights at a caspule hotel.
As I've been to Japan quite a few times but never stayed in such a hotel, I thought it might be a nice experience.

But as I looked at the hotel website today (3 days prior to my trip) to check the access, I started to have doubts...

Here's my question:

I'm 1,88m tall. Can I sleep in a regular capsule hotel capsule? Will I be able to lay flat?

I already sent an email to the hotel staff and this is, what they replied *g*
"Our capsule bed is too narrow for you.
I think that it is narrow and there is a problem."
I know Japanese are very humble and would imply a problem even if there was just the slightest chance of one...

Any thoughts?
I also booked another hotel as backup which I would have to cancel soon....

Thanx in advance
Jan
by Jan (guest)  

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 11:24
About L200 x W90 x H110(cm)

So maybe No.

Search at google image and YouTube by "ƒJƒvƒZƒ‹ƒzƒeƒ‹".

by OGE (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 11:44
So the capsule hotel already answered and said "no", but you're asking for second opinions from anonymous people on the internet? That seems like a strange plan.

Capsule hotels are places where you sleep for a few hours if you've stayed out drinking and missed the last train home. They're not particularly comfortable, or even conducive to sleep if you don't happen to be drunk. The only resemblance to a hotel is in their name.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 11:55
My height is 175. I have never spent a night at capsule hotel. I have only been in it for a little bit of time. I could lay flat and extend my legs all the way but my legs touched the wall. I don't think I could sleep comfortable in there for longer period. For you, maybe you might want to consider a business hotel. Price difference isn't that much.
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 12:07
I'm about the same height and have had no problems. Yes, me feet are right at the end, but this has never bothered me. I am quite thin so never had issues with width.

I think it is more about the fact that they are very small and some people may feel claustrophobic and thus not comfortable.
by FM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 12:21
im 180cm and i slept in few capsules before(one in Akasaka, another in Akiba).
I never measured what is the capsule size, but i can sleep straight just fine.
Just a tip, you can sleep at 45 degree from edge to opposite edge to get some extra length :p
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 14:33
QOGE
It was due to the pictures that I got worried, so I was hoping for some first hand experience, but thanks.

@Umami
You got that right! I asked for a first hand experience instead of relying on a reply by a humble japanese employee speaking little english and implying trouble at the slightes sight! Seems like an excellent plan to me. But just my HO....

@sitti, FM, eiump
Thanks guys. I guess I will give it a try for one night just for the adventure ;)
I was just worried I had to sleep with my legs pulled in XD
by Jan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/19 17:31
One of the best position for sleeping is on the right side, with knees pulled up to the chest, in a fetal position..

Seriously
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/23 04:36
Hi Folks!

Just some sleepless greetings from my capsule in Asakusabashi. This is however due to jetlag and the snoring of the guy next capsule ....
The capsule size itself is not a problem at all. Even feels cozy and if I lay from one corner to the other my feet dont even touch the wall.

Moving to a busines hotel however tomorrow where i'll have my own bathroom and just hear the sound of my own snoring.... I'm really getting too old for this.

Oyasuminasai minasan
by Jan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/23 07:18
^
aww
sh*y happens lol.. same goes when staying in a dorm/hostel.
dat SNORE!!111
well, at least you have an experience sleeping in a capsule .

*earplugs might come in handy.. can look at 100yen shop if you dont have one.
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Comfortable stay in capsule for 1,88m guy 2014/11/23 12:32
LOL just like on the plane:-) There is always someone that disturbs you.

Have a nice sleep at business hotel tomorrow.

Wish you a safe trip and enjoy Japan.
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread