Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 10:27
Hello,

I currently have a iPhone 5S with a monthly Softbank contract. In December, I will be traveling home to America for a few weeks and have no idea what I can/can't do with the phone. Basically, I want to be charged no more than my usual ~6000 yen/month, unless if there is some sort of special international data package that I can purchase for cheap (~2500 yen or less) ahead of time (does such a thing even exist?)
I've read a couple of threads addressing this issue, but unfortunately don't understand the lingo used at all...

I don't necessarily need to make phone calls, though it would be nice. I don't know if I even could, seeing as how I don't want to unlock my iPhone. Also, I am wondering if I can use the internet data. I have no idea how any of this works-- would using my Softbank data (7GB/month) require a Softbank network or some sort of satellite floating above that belongs to Softbank, which wouldn't exist in America? Obviously I have no idea how these things work whatsoever, and I apologize for my ignorance.

What if I use WiFi in Starbucks, etc. to access the internet? Would that charge me?

And I also am reading that I have to "turn of data roaming" in order to not be charged an insane bill. How do I do that? Am I best to just remove the SIM card? What is data roaming? I want to be able to use my apps-- can I even do that? If I remove the SIM card, is it impossible to be charged?

I'm really sorry. Can someone explain this all to me?

When my friend visited from America, she told me that she purchased a two-week International data package or something so that she could make calls and use data here in Japan (or maybe just use data?). I'm not entirely sure... Is there such a thing with Softbank?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
by GoLizzy  

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 12:43
Right now softbank has the "America Houdai" plan on campaign, so it's free to signup and free during the campaign (though I don't know how long it lasts). When you are in America, you can make normal calls to both people in America and Japan, and people in Japan can make normal calls to you. However people in America can't make normal calls to you since it is still considered international. But I think the data is normal, so you could send and receive messages and email just fine.

But I would go into softbank and ask directly.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 13:29
Thank you, scarreddraggon. I've googled a big about it-- it seems perfect, aside from the fact that requires an iPhone 6 and I only have a 5... :( Is that correct information that I've found?
by GoLizzy rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 13:29
that it requires**

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 15:57
Thank you, scarreddraggon. I've googled a big about it-- it seems perfect, aside from the fact that requires an iPhone 6 and I only have a 5... :( Is that correct information that I've found?

That is correct. The america houdai is only for iphone 6 users.

In December, I will be traveling home to America for a few weeks and have no idea what I can/can't do with the phone. Basically, I want to be charged no more than my usual ~6000 yen/month, unless if there is some sort of special international data package that I can purchase for cheap (~2500 yen or less) ahead of time (does such a thing even exist?)

It depends on your plan, but I believe that you are on the plan where you can get international data roaming at about 1500 yen per day (so not within your budget). Technically its charge per packet with a 1500 yen cap, but you'll hit the cap pretty quickly.

I don't necessarily need to make phone calls, though it would be nice. I don't know if I even could, seeing as how I don't want to unlock my iPhone.

You'll be able to internationally roam in the US without changing anything. Calls will be rather expensive though.

Also, I am wondering if I can use the internet data.

Yes, it's expensive.

I have no idea how any of this works-- would using my Softbank data (7GB/month) require a Softbank network or some sort of satellite floating above that belongs to Softbank, which wouldn't exist in America?

No, it doesn't draw from your 7gb data plan. It's basic, run of the mill international data roaming probably on ATT depending on where you'll be visiting.

What if I use WiFi in Starbucks, etc. to access the internet? Would that charge me?

No, anytime you're on wifi you won't be going through the cell phone company.

And I also am reading that I have to "turn of data roaming" in order to not be charged an insane bill. How do I do that? Am I best to just remove the SIM card? What is data roaming?

It means that you allow your phone to connect to non-softbank networks when travelling. It's expensive so you should turn it off (it's off by default I think). Its under settings--cellular--data roaming

I want to be able to use my apps-- can I even do that?

Yes, on wifi.

If I remove the SIM card, is it impossible to be charged?

Yes, but it isn't necessary. You can turn off data roaming, or turn on airplane mode to achieve the same thing (but turn wifi back on so you can use free internet hotspots).

I'm really sorry. Can someone explain this all to me?

When my friend visited from America, she told me that she purchased a two-week International data package or something so that she could make calls and use data here in Japan (or maybe just use data?). I'm not entirely sure... Is there such a thing with Softbank?

The last time I looked they didn't have any plans that were attractive. You should check with softbank though for their updated offerings.

Right now softbank has the "America Houdai" plan on campaign, so it's free to signup and free during the campaign (though I don't know how long it lasts).

There's a caveat. It's free to signup and free during the campaign *for new iphone 6 subscribers making a 2 year contract.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/19 17:33
Yeah, sorry OP, that was just from the top of my head from going into Softbank earlier this month. I didn't realize it was only for iPhone 6. But I still think you should go to the shop directly and ask; they'll know best how to handle a plan for you, and who knows, there may be something similar to the America Houdai for other phones.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling to USA with Softbank iPhone 2014/11/26 11:50
Thank you so much for the great info, yllwsmrf! And no worries, scarreddragon-- it may have been very useful info for me!

reply to this thread