Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/19 22:59
What are the differences between the Suica and ICOCA card? If I purchase the ICOCA card, is it possible to just get it without Haruka? Would any of those two cards be convenient for both Osaka and Tokyo? I'm planning to buy a Kyoto two-day subway and bus pass instead of using either of those two cards, is this a good decision, if not, any other recommendations for passes?

Thank you
by natie2511  

Re: Suica, ICOCA, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/20 11:10
What are the differences between the Suica and ICOCA card?

They are regional cards put out by different companies, but practically speaking they can be used almost interchangeably. Which you use will likely be based on which region you visit first.

If I purchase the ICOCA card, is it possible to just get it without Haruka?

Yes, the ICOCA + Haruka is a special package.

Would any of those two cards be convenient for both Osaka and Tokyo?

They can both be used in Osaka and Tokyo.

I'm planning to buy a Kyoto two-day subway and bus pass instead of using either of those two cards, is this a good decision, if not, any other recommendations for passes?

It depends on what you will be visiting. Do you have a proposed itinerary?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/20 13:13
Thanks for the reply. I will be going to Osaka first, then Kyoto and Tokyo last. Would I be able to purchase an ICOCA or Suica card in Kansai Airport or is it possible to book online? For Kyoto, I'm planning to take a train from Osaka and then first day go to Kiyomizu-dera, Ginkakuji, Higashimaya and Gion District. Any other suggestions for places to visit around those areas? Second day I'll be going to Nijo castle, Nishiki-Market and Golden Pavillon. Would it be too far to get to Fushimi Inari Shrine from Shijo?
by natie2511 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/20 13:56
The SUICA & ICOCA cards are just like using cash. The Kyoto 2-day pass is a bargain if you use the bus and/or subway 5 times would cost at least Y1100, while the 2-day pass costs Y1000 per day.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/20 14:26
Thank you for the information. So it doesn't matter if I purchase either of those cards since they're both basically the same, right?
by natie2511 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/20 23:05
Right.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Suica, Icoca, Kyoto two-day pass 2014/11/21 00:56
They're the same if you plan on keeping either one as a souvenir of your visit or an incentive to return to Japan.

If you wish to receive the 500yen deposit, you must return it in the region you originally purchased it: Osaka for ICOCA and Tokyo for SUICA. If you don't, then you won't get the deposit back.
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread