Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 00:45
Dear Senpai-tachi.

I'm already in Kyoto for 2 months and been learning Nihon-go pretty well...
I Plan to visit Akihabara for there are 1 figure (Horo figure) that I've been aiming for 6 years and the price is getting crazy online nowadays...

So for the transportation, as the shinkansen are expensive, I plan to use bus (night bus if possible) as my travel budget is less than 12.000yen for return trip... I haven't set the date yet but mid 2015 probably (maybe sat-sun or when there will be 3-4 days holiday in a row {does anyone know so I can Plan it asap})?

As the trip (by bus) to Tokyo took around 8-9 hours, I plan to stay somewhere in Tokyo or (gimme recommendation, near Akihabara)...
for 1/2 night... my budget for 1 night is 6000-7000yen... does anyone who visited akihabara know a cheap place to stay?

I consider "capsule hotel" or "cabin hotel" as it is the cheapest and better than "backpacker/bunk bed type" accommodation...

Thats all I want to ask for now...

As for which place/shop to visit, I will have a look online... I don't plan to visit maid cafe as I will be traveling alone (no fun and kinda sad sitting alone)...

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards.

by NoobGaijin  

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 11:34
I haven't set the date yet but mid 2015 probably (maybe sat-sun or when there will be 3-4 days holiday in a row {does anyone know so I can Plan it asap})?

So golden week or new years then? Or do you mean school holidays rather than national holidays?

As the trip (by bus) to Tokyo took around 8-9 hours, I plan to stay somewhere in Tokyo or (gimme recommendation, near Akihabara)...
for 1/2 night... my budget for 1 night is 6000-7000yen... does anyone who visited akihabara know a cheap place to stay?

Plenty of options in your budget. Personally, I'm interested in checking out First Cabin Akihabara which is an upscale capsule hotel.

I consider "capsule hotel" or "cabin hotel" as it is the cheapest and better than "backpacker/bunk bed type" accommodation...

Cheap capsule hotels are pretty on par with the price and quality of similarly priced backpackers. Upscale capsule hotel like First Cabin are nicer, but more expensive. Basically you get what you pay for.

I don't plan to visit maid cafe as I will be traveling alone (no fun and kinda sad sitting alone)...

But in a maid cafe the maids sit and hang out with you, so it should be fun and you wouldn't be alone...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 12:57
Your budget including travel(12,000yne) & hotel(6000-7000yen) seems to be 18,000-19,000yen.
On long weekends, the overnight bus seems to be 5000-6000 each way.

However, if you go via Shinkansen on the SAME day, you will not need a hotel, so the travel is about 26,000yen round trip. Can't you afford the extra 7000yen?
You could travel at say, 6am, coming back maybe 8pm.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 13:00
You can consider hostels in Asakusa area as well and its walking distance to Akiba.
Look for thos Khaosan chains.

Cabin style is less convenient as if you got big luggage, you need to leave it at luggage floor. While hostels you can bring it to your bed.

Cabin/Capsule style with have more privacy (it has wall/secluded) and usually this place do not have big common area so you cant easily meet other traveler. I've stayed in both style and i prefer hostel.

7K yen a day is doable
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 13:10
One other option....
Instead of a hotel/capsule, the Karaoke chain "Big Echo" has a special 11pm-5am deal, fixed price, one drink plus booth. I think it may be around 2500 yen, but you can check this in Kyoto.
Otherwise it's about 500-600yen/hour.

I slept for a while at Big Echo when I was stuck in Tokyo one time.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/20 23:27
Domo arigatou Gozaimasu, senpai-gata~

The only reason why my budget seems to be so low is that the figure that I wanna buy will cost 30-50.000yen approx... it was based on internet amazon/ebay though....
but I heard the more further you go in the Akihabara, the more it seems cheaper though...

another reason why I want to stay in Tokyo is that I heard every sunday, the road will be blocked at Akihabara so cosplayer can going down the street... its like a weekly events, and i want to check on that.

Thanks for the info on the accommodation guys. I might consider capsule inn or first cabin in either Ueno or Tokyo... as train ticket to Akihabara only cost less than 200yen...

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate your time.

Best regards.
by NoobGaijin rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/21 08:55
If it's either the Good Smile Company or Kotobukiya Holo, it will cost you more in the region of ¥10,000 - ¥15,000, not ¥30,000 to ¥50,000.

The Kotobukiya version of Holo is quite rare, though. You would be lucky to find her, even in Akiba.

In three years of living in Japan, I have not seen the Good Smile Company version at all.
by 触り猫 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/21 10:44
Hello!
I had heard that some people stay at Manga-Kissa around Akihabara. (It was a social problem.)
According to this, you can stay about 2,000yen per 9hour, this reporter said, this is in Shibuya/Shinjuku though.
http://youtu.be/FsgRSt5FgJY?t=23s
And on Sunday, also cosplayers(?) in Harajuku are well-known.
https://goo.gl/maps/nKWEW
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara Trip 2014/11/21 10:57
Cabin/Capsule style with have more privacy (it has wall/secluded) and usually this place do not have big common area so you cant easily meet other traveler. I've stayed in both style and i prefer hostel.

Capsule hotels typically do have a big common area with a tv/theater where you can easily meet other travellers. And more privacy in general, but people may feel claustrophobic in the smaller sleeping space.

Instead of a hotel/capsule, the Karaoke chain "Big Echo" has a special 11pm-5am deal, fixed price, one drink plus booth. I think it may be around 2500 yen, but you can check this in Kyoto.
Otherwise it's about 500-600yen/hour.
I slept for a while at Big Echo when I was stuck in Tokyo one time.

If budget is the main concern then karaoke or manga cafe might be the cheapest to stay for a few hours. Capsule hotels are as cheap as 1500 yen though if you book ahead of time, so that still might be the cheapest option for a full nights stay.

The only reason why my budget seems to be so low is that the figure that I wanna buy will cost 30-50.000yen approx... it was based on internet amazon/ebay though....
but I heard the more further you go in the Akihabara, the more it seems cheaper though...

Specific rare goods can be hard to find unless you already know a store that carries the item, why not just order online then and save the travel costs? Unless you really want to see Tokyo of course.

another reason why I want to stay in Tokyo is that I heard every sunday, the road will be blocked at Akihabara so cosplayer can going down the street... its like a weekly events, and i want to check on that.

Yes, Akihabara's pedestrian paradise is held on chuo dori in winter on sundays from 1-5pm. I don't think it's particularly big on cosplayers unless you count the maids touting for the maid cafes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread