Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 06:11
I would like to hear from other people experience if it is reasonable to tavel at Japan by tain with luggages. We plan to travel 17-18 days and to move frome place to place by the train. We will be 2 persons with luggages for all the period.

Thanks in advance.
by OfferWeiss  

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 13:01
Depends what you mean by "luggage". I've been touring from Okinawa to Aomori for the past five weeks with a ~15kg bag with no problem.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 15:13
My family always travels by train, it is awesome. We generally carry luggage that would be about 60cm high (maybe a bit more), 50cm wide, and 30 - 40cm deep. On our way over it usually weighs about 10kg, maybe up to 12kg. It gets plenty heavier on the way.

Anyway, shinkansen and other reserved carriages aren't a problem, there are baggage areas in each carriage. Most other trains have luggage racks or areas as well. Some local trains don't, so sometimes we have to stand near the doors, but that isn't very often.

As long as your luggage isn't too big, you wont have any problem at all.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 17:16
There's no problem travelling around with a standard suitcase and a backpack each (other than your arms getting tired ;)).
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 17:26
I really wouldn't want to be travelling with a standard, rigid suitcase. Not every station has escalators/elevators and they're a major pain to carry on stairs.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 18:11
I also prefer a backpack or duffel (especially one with backpack straps) as they are easier to navigate with in a crowded station. But a carry on size suitcase also works if that is what you have.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japan by Trains 2014/11/20 20:19
Space for suitcases can be limited on Bullet trains and if you're travelling during peak periods such as the Spring, this can be even more so.

You might consider sending your main cases on separately to your next location using the excellent and reliable takkyubin service. This is normally a next day service but can be arranged as same day delivery between some locations.

You can easily arrange this by talking to the staff at your hotel. If you're planning to do any sightseeing en route as you travel from A to B, then using this service will be even more beneficial.

If you post your planned route, we can suggest where you might most benefit from using takkyubin...
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread