Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jan 1-3 in Monbetsu-Abashiri-Shiretoko 2014/11/22 20:33
Hi everyone,

We are arriving (with 4yo son) to Monbetsu on New Year's Day. We had wanted to visit the Okhtosk Sea Ice Museum, Okhotsk Tokkari Centre and Okhostsk Tower before heading to Abashiri on Jan2. But it seems Sea Ice Museum is closed until Jan3, is this right? Is the Tokkari Centre and Tower open on Jan1, at least? May I know how do we make reservations if we do not know Japanese?

Thanks in advance.
by Rachel (guest)  

Re: Jan 1-3 in Monbetsu-Abashiri-Shiretoko 2014/11/23 09:24
But it seems Sea Ice Museum is closed until Jan3, is this right?

Yes, it is closed on Jan 1 to Jan 3.

Is the Tokkari Centre and Tower open on Jan1, at least?

Okhotsk tower opens on 1 Jan but closes on 2-3 Jan. Tokkari Centre opens 1-3 Jan (it is open 365 days).

May I know how do we make reservations if we do not know Japanese?

What reservations? Okhotsk tower and Tokkari center? You do not need to reserve.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Jan 1-3 in Monbetsu-Abashiri-Shiretoko 2014/11/23 13:31
Hi frog1954,

Thank you so much for your reply. That's great. At least we get to see two attractions on New Year's Day. May I ask if there is a shuttle bus service from the airport to the Tokkari Centre or Okhtosk Tower? If not, how much will the taxi fare cost?

May I also ask if the ice-breaker cruise on Garinko-goII is also available on 01 or 02 Jan? If not, does the Aurora at Abashiri?
We are interested in ice fishing at Abashiri, is this already available on 02 Jan?

Finally, will it be better to visit Shiretoko or Lake Akan on 03 Jan? We would like to see some wildlife and nature before heading back to Monbestu and going down south to Sapporo and Hakodate.

Your kind help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
by Rachel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jan 1-3 in Monbetsu-Abashiri-Shiretoko 2014/11/23 17:12
May I ask if there is a shuttle bus service from the airport to the Tokkari Centre or Okhtosk Tower? If not, how much will the taxi fare cost?

There is only one flight to Monbetsu (ANA 375), and a free shuttle bus to Monbetsu bus terminal is running.

http://mombetsu.jp/access/plane.html

Minamigaoka-7-chome(南ヶ丘7丁目)seems to be the nearest stop to Tokkari center. But if you can catch taxi at the airport, you might better get ride to Tokkari center, since it is winter and the temperature will be normally under 0. Tokkari center is about 5 km from the airport and it costs around 2000 yen when I checked at
http://www.taxisite.com

May I also ask if the ice-breaker cruise on Garinko-goII is also available on 01 or 02 Jan? If not, does the Aurora at Abashiri?

These are for drift ice cruise. Since early Jan is not the drift ice season, they do not operate. They will operate after 20th Jan.

We are interested in ice fishing at Abashiri, is this already available on 02 Jan?

Again, early Jan is just too early.

Finally, will it be better to visit Shiretoko or Lake Akan on 03 Jan? We would like to see some wildlife and nature before heading back to Monbestu and going down south to Sapporo and Hakodate.

Have you checked timetables of trains/buses of these areas? In general, public transportations are not convenient in these areas and you will take much time. For example, if you leave Monbetsu by bus at 16:25, you will arrive Engaru at 17:50. Then you get 18:45 train to Abashiri and get there at 20:37.

http://goo.gl/Ph86ur

There is no direct bus from Abashiri to Lake Akan. You must go to Kitami by JR and then bus to Akan.

Re: Jan 1-3 in Monbetsu-Abashiri-Shiretoko 2014/11/23 17:46
I checked hotel rooms in Rakuten, and found that there are some vacancies in Kitami, Abashiri, Lake Akan, Kushiro and Utoro hotels. Jan 1st to 3rd are one of the busiest days, but still they have rooms. That said, these days are not considered as good for tourists. But if you want to experience cold weather with snow (but not drift ice), it might not be so bad. You can choose the place to stay even in the busiest days.

Good luck and have a nice trip!

reply to this thread