Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/25 22:31
Hello

ILm organising a surprise to my Boyfriend to go to Japan next year. It will be his Christmas present :)

So far I'm thinking to leave on Thursday 2nd of April from London to Tokyo and return on Sunday 19 from Tokyo to London - so we will have 16 days to visit the country.

Is this a good period to go? I'm especially hoping to see the cherry blossoms? I assume we will spend a couple of days in Tokyo and travel by train after that to see more of the country.

Would you have a recommendation of itinerary that would work for 2 weeks?

Many thanks

Delphine
by Delfi Nova  

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/26 10:24
With 2 weeks in Japan during that period, you will most likely be able to see the blossoms somewhere in the country. If you're going specifically to see them, it is a good idea to keep your itinerary flexible, as the blossoms are unpredictable and often depend on the weather. Or you could do a South-to-North style itinerary that will give you a good chance of hitting the blossoms somewhere along your trip, if you aren't picky on WHERE you see them!

Start with the Attractions guide here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html and get a general idea of what you'd like to see and how much you think you could fit into two weeks depending on your pace. When you've developed a general idea of places you want to visit and how long you want to spend in each of them, post again with an itinerary and we'll check it over and give advice.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/26 22:19
Hello

Many thanks for the reply - no I'm not going especially to see them but I think it would be a pity to miss that...
I did a bit more digging and I think I should leave a week earlier. I know itLs difficult to predict but based on what I saw it looks like the cherry blossoms usually start end of March although they were quite late in 2012 but as I will stay 2 weeks I should be able to see them somewhere.

ILve worked on an itinerary. Can you please tell me what you think?

Arrival Saturday 28/03 in the morning – jetlag day

29 March – 02 April Tokyo with one day trip to Kamakura and one day trip to Nikko

03 April – stay at a ryokan close to Lake Kawaguchiko with view on Mount Fuji and experience hot spring bath

04-07 April – Go to Kyoto with one day trip to Nara

08 April – Mount Koya and sleep at a temple

09 / 10 April (two options):

– 09 Hiroshima in the morning and spend afternoon / night in a ryokan at Miyajima

– 10 April Himeji Castle and travel back to Tokyo

Or

–09 April leaving from Kyoto to Takayama

–10 April Takayama and back to Tokyo

What options would you recommend?

Also, I'm afraid travelling from Lake Kawaguchiko to Kyoto on the 4th might be difficult? Would you know how to do this (train, bus..?)

I was also wondering if it would be possible to see some nice terraced rice field along the way?

Thanks

Delphine
by Delfi Nova rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/27 00:37
I received some comments on the above and I think I'm trying to do too much. As I cannot extend my trip I'm thinking to focus on the following:

28 March – 01 April Tokyo with one day trip to Nikko

02 -04 April – Go to Takayama (One night around - Shirakawa – Kamikochi?)

05-08 April – Go to Kyoto (one day trip to Nara)

09 Mount Koya and sleep at a temple

10- Travel back to Tokyo in the afternoon and sleep close to airport

Not sure about buying the JR rail pass as some part of my trip are not included (like between Kyoto and Mount Koya or between Takayama and Shirakawa...)

Please advice.
Thanks

Delphine

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/27 01:32
Make sure he has a valid passport before you go any further!
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/27 10:14
The valid passport is an interesting comment...

With regards the first one is better. I do not find it to be too rush. But if you are heading there for a romantic experience and not to "been there, done that" then it might be slightly rush.

If you do decide to stick with the "busier" schedule, I would choose Hiroshima/Miyajima. Not because Takayama and the like is not nice. But because it is too it requires a good 4 to 5 days to explore.
E.g. Shirakawago morning, Takayama night
Takayama morning, Kanazawa night
Kanazawa morning, Kanazawa night
Noto hanto morning, Kanazawa night

JR Pass does not cover Koya
You could get the Koya pass

If you head from Tokyo or nearby Tokyo (Fuji mountain) to Kyoto and back to Tokyo within 7 days, the 7 day JR Pass is worth it.

Even more so if you pop by Hiroshima or Takayama on the way.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/27 15:22
I think I rather stick to the second one - I donLt want to rush too much so we have time to enjoy each places. See below regarding the travel costs:

28 March – 31 March Tokyo with one day trip to Nikko (2 day Nikko Pass 2,670 yen)
01 April – Go to Takayama (by bus: 6,690 yen)
02 April – Takayama
03 April – Shirakawago (Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass: 10,500 yen)
04 April - Kanazawa (Cover by above pass)
05 April Go to Kyoto (Cover by above pass) until 08 April (one day trip to Nara)
09 Mount Koya and sleep at a temple (Koyasan World Heritage Ticket:2,860 yen)
10- Travel back to Tokyo in the afternoon and sleep close to airport (night bus:6,000 yen)

Total cost around 33000 yen.
The JR 7day Rail is 29110 yen but it wont cover every part of my trip so not sure if interesting...

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/27 15:40
Well, it is not cheap. Compared to most other Asian countries. But compared to certain parts of Europe and USA, crossing that many cities won't seem that bad.

I can only recommend that you use a 7 day JR Pass.
Places I feel is a must do are:
Kyoto 3 days
Takayama + Kanazawa 2 day

Optional
Osaka 1-2 day
Hiroshima 1 day
Shirakawago 1 day
Mount Fuji 1 day
Nikko 1 day

If you want, you could get the Hakone pass or Nikko pass. So 7 days pass is for Tokyo to Kyoto plus takayama and back to Tokyo.
Then get another pass for Fuji.

Since you have a JR Pass, at anytime Kyoto seems to incite bordem, hop on a train heading to Uji/Nara/Osaka/Kobe.
All within an hour.
Or to Hiroshima even! You could do it in a day. Cycle about Hiroshima city in three hours to see the castle, residential areas, shopping arcades, and peace park. Then a 4 hour visit to Miyajima. You could be back in Kyoto before sunset!
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/28 07:39
But the 7 day pass wont include transportation between Takayama-Shirakayago -Kanazawa and to Mount Koya. Besides I would have to chose if I use it at the beginning of my trip or at the end as it is consecutive. I did the comparison and it turns out cheaper buying other passes and individual tickets.

I don't think I will go to Hiroshima as I already only have 2,5 days in Kyoto - not enough time for everything...

Re: 2 weeks in Japan 2014/11/28 17:21
I feel like you're shortchanging Tokyo, and I agree with thinking hard about whether you want to do Takayama or not. I went and just don't get the appeal... it was nice, but not what I would consider a must-see.

Also in an above comment you mentioned terraced rice fields; unfortunately, unless you go to the extreme South, it will be way too early to see them. I mean, you can see the actual fields in Noto, but there will be no rice, so it isn't particularly nice... just dirt
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread